*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Gsync isnt really needed on a 1080p panel with a 2080. Doubt there are many if any games that cant reach 144hz or close at such a low resolution with a 2080.

MogRules and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh dam yeah... Paid extra...i honestly forgot about that >w< makes me feel kinda bleh now for not being able to use it.. But I guess I have bragging rights? Lol..

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Silverfeyn likes this.
  3. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I Play a lot of Battlefield V and if you have all set to ultra it's normal to fluctuate between 80-120 fps... I know it's not a death or life matter but it bothers me a lot because I paid for this, so if I had the last bios I will need to deal with the fps going down all the time?

It's a shame for Dell and Alienware

Enviado desde mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

IllusiveMan likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They do not control what and when panels get added to the Green Goblin's G-Stink club. They would have to go back and add G-Stink support to an old BIOS that they intentionally changed to introduce throttling nonsense to in later versions, so don't even ask. They don't want people using the older BIOS that works better. Their solution was the introduction of inferior firmware.

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I asked this in the other thread but whilst we're on the subject I'll ask it here as well...

Can you set a sort of global setting to limit FPS to 144? Is there any benefit to not setting this and allowing the GPU to push out 144+ even though the screen can't show it?

If you were to set a 'global setting' limiting everything to 144 FPS, would there be a benefit in terms of reducing heat?

Apologies if this is a real noob type question, I'm still learning this game.

6. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rivatuner, or just use vsync

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and MogRules like this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same here and I have never experienced any throttling or FPS drops, even hours into gaming. Maybe I am just not pushing it hard enough, IDK.

I rolled back to 1.5.0 just to test and saw maybe a 2% difference? Not enough that I warranted staying on the older bios. I don't really care about topping the benchmark charts so I opted for the newer BIOS. With the FPS this thing is pushing on games I play I don't really care about the miniscule difference I lose going to 1.7.3.

pathfindercod and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what games were you playing? i don't care about benchmarks either, but on titanfall 2 and metro exodus i for sure had the fps drops. it was enough to make the game choppy for like 5 seconds at at time.

i just did what some people said worked on here and set the GPU thermal limit to 78 on my GPU overclock and the noticeable FPS drops went away. if i don't notice any FPS drops on Metro Exodus with ray tracing on high and graphics on ultra then i'm fine with 1.7.3 too. since my A51m is a first batch A51m i'd rather use the "safer" bios as long as my gaming experience is still great.

DreDre and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have been testing some games with -125 umdervolt and it seems stable so far at 4'6 or 4'7ghz. I'm setting it at 4'6 GHz and having between 80-87°max on BFV ultra at WQHD

Other games like overwatch, Warhammer or battlefront runs a lot cooler. Having like 50-60 in overwatch and Warhammer. Battlefront 70-80.

So far I'm happy...I just want to tweak a few more things. What's the best thermal paste recommended here? IC Diamond? Phobya nanogrease?

I have Grizzly Krionaut LM too but for the moment I want to stick with "normal" pastes

Enviado desde mi MIX 2S mediante Tapatalk

10. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ARK, WoW Classic, Star Wars:Fallen Order and Overwatch mostly. I have no Ray Tracing options available so I can't test that.

Fire Tiger likes this.