*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol - this is quite the Shakesperean adventure.

So I went to device manager, and saw that there was a red exclamation on my PCIe x16 port. I right click, hit update drivers... and it connects to the internet, updates, and refreshes! No more exclamation.

Now my 2080 shows up in Afterburner! Yay!

Plugged in monitor and now everything is working.

I've literally in 20+ years of PC gaming and 10+ building my own machines have I run into that... especially strange considering my PC never turned off or reset or anything. Like... that's odd, right?

Haha! Thanks so much for the quick reply! I just figured this out, too! Really appreciate you jumping in regardless. How strange! Glad it only killed 45 min of my night rather than a week :)

This machine sure is a strange one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I just posted that right before you did, was going to provide a link to this for you.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50h-coffee-lake.810891/page-138#post-10962991

Glad you got it figured out.

Yeah, it's super-stupid that a Windows Update can screw things up like that. They're such incompetent baboons.

Sounds like the same sad story as the unlocked BIOS for the Alienware 18 that I tested for them and they never released to the public. They have the ability to do the right thing, but deliberately choose not to. That's one of the reasons I won't buy their garbage any more. I don't want to do business with a company that behaves that way. Plus, they're just not worthy of having me for a customer.

It was nice visiting with you this afternoon. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cass-Olé, Rei Fukai, DreDre and 3 others like this.
  3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Seen in the Microsoft Store... Alienwae (typo in the Store Description lol) Area-51m >>> R2 <<< !!!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haha I'll raise you this one I saw earlier mentioning not just the Area 51m R2, but also the m15 R3 and the m17 R3! [​IMG]

Biker Gremling, Fire Tiger and Virale like this.
  5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know why chrome keeps saying aw snap and just crashes all the time... On any web page i am on my gf and I have the same build of windows and none of the crash bs for her at all I do have my cpu OC some but all tests pass on cenibech gaming etc no issues so idk what's happening.. It's so annoying.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As @Mr. Fox mentioned. Indeed I had this issue. You go into device manager, you'll see under "System devices" a PCI-E x16 controller with a yellow warning sign. right click on it and update drivers.
    It will change into a pci-e x16 intel XEON controller. And your GPU should immediately be detected once again.
    I think it's something dell messed up in terms of the switch to DCH drivers

DreDre and mattcube64 like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Oh Lord. . .the m15 and m17 probably have soldered ssd’s this time around.

EepoSaurus, Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.
  8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    T’was I who found ze fix!!! If you can call it a fix, lol. I just kinda stumbled across it, hit update and it fixed it.

I updated both the 16x and 8x, just ‘cause! I was feelin’ dangerous!

quote or it didn’t happen!

For everyone’s info: I was running DCH drivers since the start, so I didn’t switch from one type to another. I had updated via GeForce experience and it happened. Probably related to a change in the Nvidia driver itself and the PCIe components in the driver if I had to put money on it.

DreDre, Mr. Fox and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sorry if I gave credit where it wasn't due. I just remembered @QUICKSORT having the problem and posting the solution, but I do not spend a great deal of time reading posts in this thread. The good thing is that both of you posted and the chances of someone else finding the quick solution to this problem when it happens to them is doubled. The more posts the better when something stressful like this happens.

DreDre, Papusan, Virale and 1 other person like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    R2 is to be expected. Intel is changing the socket to LGA 1200 for their next 10-core CPU.

Rei Fukai likes this.