*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1507...-20702080-upgrade-kits-for-area-51m-available

Ouch
    Long live upgradable* laptops o_O
    I wonder what they’ll charge for next gen, something users will actually want to upgrade to.

Papusan likes this.
  2. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have strange problem
    my 2080 dont rizes more than 50w in 3d applications and about 800mhz gpu freequency
    temp about 57c load 99%
    both ac adapters connected - bios shows 510w so they are both working. Battery 100% charged and does not lowering
    and monitoring shows about 50w power consumption constantly
    I wonder why it not rises more ?
    perfcap reasons are temperature and power. i guess its only power but why it is limited to 50w I cant understand
    windows 10
    videodriver 441.08 DCH

Another strange problem is I dont have Nvidia control panel
    I always have it with nvidia drivers
    so i tried to uninstall video driver, apply DDU, download latest and reinstall it
    but when i ununstall nvidia driver and while downloading latest version seems like windows downloading video driver automatically and installs it but without nvidia control panel)
    i google for "Install nvidia control panel" and find out its installation packet in windows store for dch drivers but when i clicking on download nothing happens at all i wonder
    how do you install nvidia control panel?
    its my first laptop actually)

3. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know why tobii on my 51m isn't working? Sensor is plugged in, no damage to cable looks present. [​IMG]

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you make sure you installed the latest Tobii Driver followed by a reboot?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I read about this around the web. Clearly enthusiast pricing, BUT, if you’re an enthusiast and know about your device and the issues that come with it, you probably won’t want to drop +1000 USD to upgrade to a 2080 only to have it limited with the thermal caps. Thank goodness I have a launch 51m on 1.5.0, 2080 and 9900K running smoothly without caps. Zero issues!

My intent has always been to be able to upgrade to a 3080 or 4080 or whatever comes out when we’re at the 51m R2/R3 generations.

9900K has performance to spare for years to come, not too bummed that the last we’ll be able to do is the 9900KS. Not worth an upgrade ever in my opinion if you’re on a 9900K already.

6. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unplug one of the power connectors and plug it back.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

REAN1MAT0R and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a XPS laptop back in the day with dual SLI graphics cards and they burnt out about 2 if not 3 times. Luckily Dell warranties are (were?) Really good but my 51m laptop is packed ready to go back due to the thermal throttling it does make me wonder if desktop hardware in a laptop is just not viable

Yes, 1.5.0 removes the throttle but they did that due to burning out of components. Whilst yours is fine now, is the lifetime going to end up with issues later?

If 2080 has issues now, why would future graphics cards be better? I hope they will be but I am not so sure

8. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 2080 architecture/chip production is known to have issues when it launched, so Nvidia will be keen on quality control for future GPUs (3080 or whatever).

They have probably been slightly revising and fixing the 2080 architecture currently as they produce the chips, but it seems like there’s an inherent design flaw that causes some to still burn out more than other GPU generations before it.

I just want Dell to do right by us and have the 51m be a long term platform with multiple R2/R3/R4 revisions that keep our current systems future proof like the good old MXM days around 2011-2016 with the 17's.

Vanya and Sup3rKillaX like this.
  9. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a question - Dell stocks various options of the Area51m that differ wildly in price, but if I want the most barebone one just with 9900K and RTX2080 w. G-Sync/Tobii, should I just grab the cheapest option with 2x4GB and 256GB M.2? Or are there other hidden things that are different like screen model etc? Asking because Dell wants a lot of $$$ for simple upgrades like 8 to 16GB is already a €115 (!!!) premium.

Notebookcheck reviews stated that the 51m only runs at full power when you use the profile that locks the fans at 100% all the time, is that still true?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I bought 8GB + 1TB HDD model (base at the time) with i9 9900K, RTX 2080 and 144Hz G-Sync display. You will be fine.

Performance is max on BIOS 1.5.0 after that if your temps exceed 79C it will throttle. You do NOT need max fans. Just use balanced like me and you get full performance as long as temps are fine.