*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The pattern looks exactly like the Space Invader issue with the RTX 2080 cards, so odds are very high that it's a bad GPU. I'd contact support.

Or the the issue might be caused because you installed fortnite :p

In all seriousness, you should have premium next business day warranty the 1st year for sure. So let them come and fix it.

Sven Boden and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. TheChadd

TheChadd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive recently purchased the 2070 version with the 8700 (from Dell Outlet).

It has the latest BIOS version and the GPU seems to thermal throttle at 75 degrees when playing AC Odyssey on max setting. This is with Balanced fan profile.
    Which BIOS versions don’t throttle the GPU at 75 degrees?

Also, does anyone else have a trackpad issue where you can’t two finger scroll inside the windows start menu? Scrolling inside the web browser is also slower. The trackpad seems fine otherwise. Not sure if this is a windows issue?

Also the laptop was listed as coming with GSync however there are no GSync options in the NVidia control panel so I think this was an error - Is Dell likely to sort this for me or will I have to return it for a refund instead?

Thanks

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All the BIOS' after 1.5.0 had a throttle limit of 75c-80c applied. Pretty sure its 75c on most devices.

You can roll back to 1.5.0, however, if you have the Chi Mei panel, you will lose G-Sync abilities if you downgrade. Which leads to your next question, if your invoice states you have G-Sync and it's not there, then Dell should replace/fix this for you.

Biker Gremling likes this.
  4. Sven Boden

Sven Boden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thx a lot and yeah I know everyone hates Fortnite, but it is quiet fun to play it with friends

5. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This has been answered elsewhere that all bios throttle after 1.5.0 but you have also answered my question as to whether a lower spec GPU would be better and the answer is no, they all throttle

this is all so disappointing that the capabilities they offer are crippled out of the box due to the hardware not being able to cope. I understand the reasons but it makes me wonder if the laptop needs a rethink/redesign when sold to people like myself who don’t feel comfortable tweaking in this way

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. gr33n2

gr33n2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question - noticed I was getting power and thermal throttling (as reported by both GPU-z and MSI Afterburner) while idling in the windows desktop, and while playing games. Temps never exceeded 50 degrees, and in some cases I was getting the throttling at 40 degrees.
    Rolled back nvidia drivers from 441.08 to 436.48 and it seems to have stopped.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone interested in upgrading to the latest and "greatest" to see if this is an nvidia issue?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My last driver update was about a week ago, so not sure if its the same one. I will check later though and let you know which driver I'm on. As yet I haven't observed throttling at those temps and I was doing some light last night hovering between 45-65c.

8. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine (ordered late september) is also a TZ-1 marked heatsink, but there are no soldering spills allover. Gaps between pipes seem to be smaller. My guess is that the guy making your heatsink had a bad day.

[​IMG]

I would keep eye on this issue, but your GPU might be on its last legs. RTX cards are notorious for these issues.

Sometimes Alienware Control Center doesn't release the GPU from its low power limit of 50W with two power supplies connected. Disconect and connect one power supply if this happens.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    pathfindercod and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This guys overclocking their videocards and rises temp limits while card may not having vrm radiator:D
    And then Hey i have some strange problems with my monitor can you help me pleez

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Bios v1.62
    upload_2019-11-4_18-58-40.png
    I doub't it. More the ODM. Dell does exactly the same with their XPS models.
    upload_2019-11-4_19-1-12.png
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/ASUS-...iew-A-high-end-old-school-gamer.436944.0.html

upload_2019-11-4_19-7-28.png
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT76-9SG-Laptop-Review-The-Titan-of-Gaming-Laptops.425043.0.html
    Yeah, on it's way to hardware heaven.

Rei Fukai, Mr. Fox, jclausius and 3 others like this.