*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the info. I think given I have so limited return time it will go back. Maybe in the future they will fix this but given how long I have seen the problem reported from this thread I don’t hold out hope. Given they ship with 2666 and they throttle that too it just makes me think time to address isn’t going to be quick

Papusan likes this.
  2. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys,

I have not been around in several weeks and need to see if you have any idea on my issue?

I noticed today that my gtx 2080 is missing from device manager, only Intel shows for display adapter.

So I restored from a backup and 2080 was back, but after window updates and reboot, its gone again, can't install driver for card since card is not seen. And I am not using external monitor so the 2080 has to be slightly working I would think or I would have no video?

Glad I got 4 year premium support, guess I will call them in the morning.

Thanks and hope everyone has been doing well.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Open device manager, go to system devices and look for the PCIE 16x something device, right click and click update drivers. Also update de 8x one. The 2080 will be redetected right away.

The updated device should say the word “Xeon” in it. If it does, you’re good.

Nvidia driver update caused this, this fixes it. Update Nvidia drivers again too!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep this worked! Thanks for the fast response!

Mr. Fox and Virale like this.
  5. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thermal throttling and power throttling is a thing on all laptops and desktops. It depends on what is your commitment to tinkering, but you will face similar issues on any device.

Also, some newer laptops from other brands have 75°C thermal limit. Aside from all the issues Dell faced, this limit might be imposed by nVidia.

The problem is that when you raise the temperature limit, instead of controlling the frequency upon reaching the limit (like when it reaches the stock temp limit), the GPU goes to 50W power mode until it hits 50°C. Really this should be more controlled.

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Yes that is a big issue, but is this issue also present on 1.5.4 and 1.6.2? I've only tested 1.7.3 after 1.5.0 so if the previous firmwares have a different style limit it can be worked around with GPUTweak

7. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I was opening to test components to see which are better from the 2 machines I have here, old one dead (because of bios update and forced by dell advisor)

oh btw, the old panel is LG with no light bleeding compared to the new one chu Mei? That had a lot of light bleeding.

but the new one have the trackpad working better than the old one, and the new one have the DisplayPort working properly when in the old one was not working.

anyway, opened and one thing I noticed is the old heatsink looks more clean compared to the new one, the new one have the pipes little more crocked and slightly separated, also have drops of paints on it, and the welding it’s quite chunky in one side, in the old one in the gpu part it said tz-2, and in the new one it said tz-1, no idea what it means. Also the pipes in the new one end 1mm shorter compared to the old one.

overall I think I gonna keep the old one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rei Fukai and c69k like this.
  8. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How I can set trackpad lighting always on ? No such option in awcc

9. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you can change it in Bios settings.

REAN1MAT0R likes this.
  10. Sven Boden

Sven Boden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, yesterday my monitor had this strange colour problem, after restart everything was fine, but I am worried that my graphic card is damaged. What do you think, should i send it in?

Attached Files: