*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're not giving enough information. What are your temps? Are you live monitoring your system while playing a game? WOW can run on integrated graphics so 160 fps is not very high. What other games have you tested? Are both the 330w and 180w psus plugged in?

2. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The laptop is designed to suck air through the top vents under the screen. Air is routed through the back of the GPU, the heatsink is very functional and necessary on the RTX 2080.

Not the first one here that has found his RTX 2080 without the heatsink.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

3. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry, both psu are plugged in. 160+ on ultra settings is high to be fair, I can get a lot higher by dropping below level 10 but was just an example really. Monitoring temperatures, GPU is hitting 79C after about 5 minutes. Thus, throttling

4. torax

torax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try to set another fan profile on AWCC? Maybe you are playing on lowest profile fan thus the high temperature and throttling. When i play i set my fan on performance mode.

Enviado do meu SM-G965F através do Tapatalk

5. firedragon247

Reputations:
    it is on performance mode. I have also used AWCC to set the GPU to minimum reduced voltage and frequency and it still throttles.

I have tried using the techniques in the undervolting on the other thread in the forum and I didn’t understand it fully but I think I changed it and it still throttles. As I said in my first post, I don’t think I should need to do this to overcome the limitation Alienware have added. But I appreciate the pointers as I do like the laptop

As I said, I am trying to understand if it is returned, whether the RTX 2070 throttles in the same way? And what power drop is there for this and a different processor

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This is the issue. You can downgrade to 1.5.0 to get full performance.

OR you can also go down to 1.6.2 and use something like GPUTweak to raise the limit.

I'm assuming you're on 1.7.3 or w/e the latest one is.

I think if most of us here messaged AW or Umar on twitter regarding this issue, it might get somewhere. The throttle is way to aggressive and should be only a couple hundred Mhz at max.

7. firedragon247

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:
    it came with 1.7.3 and from reading more in the thread I checked and it has the newer screen than needs that version to be able to use Gsync

okay, there are solutions but that involves reversing bios and foregoing any security and bug fix issues those lack or trying to tweak by undervolt or similar

okay, my 14day is tomorrow so I requested a return today so I should be in time. I could try for a lower spec but to be honest thinking about it I am going to lot just go for a desktop. The Aurora seem powerful and of a similar price for much more power. Unless I find those have issues too :rolleyes:

I wonder how many returns they have had due to this

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I think 1.6.2 will retain G-SYNC for you and that BIOS should be able to sustain load using GPUTweak.

You can try 2070 model, I don't know if anyone here reported issues with that card.

Aurora should perform fine but you lose the portability factor so really depends on what you are going for.

Me, @S.K @EepoSaurus and many others are enjoying the laptop with 1.5.0 or 1.3.2 BIOS. I am sure 1.6.2 with GPUTweak is the last BIOS that supports all newer panels and still can retain performance.

In 1.7.3 they messed something up and causes a very hard throttle at 80C.

I can play up to 87C full performance but like you said it requires downgrading. I don't think 1.7.3 or 1.6.2 has any better security than 1.5.0 to be honest.

S.K, EepoSaurus and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any idea what the throttle limit was in 1.6.2, I might try going to that from 1.7.3 if the limit is better than the current 75c and still retains G-Sync.

10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I think it's similar to the newer BIOS just not as bad. However, that BIOS should allow you to do this:

Fire Tiger likes this.