*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. done12many2

done12many2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you happen to have a link to the most recent AWCC? I bought my 51m open box and Micro Center reset it so none of the Dell drivers or applications are installed. AWCC isn't listed the download section of Dell's support site for this laptop.

2. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. REAN1MAT0R

REAN1MAT0R Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it support KF and KS 9900 versions ?
    Anybody tried?

KF is more interesting

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  4. Ludwig Tornheden

Ludwig Tornheden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes it supports all 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs

5. REAN1MAT0R

Reputations:
    Yesterday I desided to repaste my cpu before clean windows install because it easily gets 100c at stock under load. I disassemble my unit. There was very thick layer of thermal paste on cpu, of course that was a problem of high temps. I applied thin layer of GELID GC EXTREME, I used bosh hot air blower to get thermal paste softer for thinner layer. I planning to do repadding when delidding tool arrives.
    And you know what?
    With thin thermal paste layer there was almost zero contact between cpu and its heatspreader. I did not changed thermal pads, I screwed all 8 screws to their maximun, as there is some restriction for screwing force, and I got it! 60C idle 100C any loading. I added some amount of thermal paste on cpu and it become better but still objectively very bad.
    Another thing shocked me.
    I get 9900k and 2080 as I hear some mentions about simplified cooling for 2060 and I think I must take top hardware to get the most powerful cooling. I bought my unit in last october so its not their first design or whatever.
    When I choosing videocards for my desktop I always look at vrm first. I want to take the most powerful vrm for mosfets lower temperatures and use fullcover waterblock for card living forever. Because if vrm is alive and feels good nothing happens. I think you hear about burned area-51m's. So now I know the reason.
    THERE IS NO ANY HEATSINK FOR VIDEOCARD VRM

[​IMG]

This MOSFETs just hang in the air !!
    The only way they can cool down is transfer heat to the board, then to the coils then to thermal pads on coils and only then to heatpipes!
    It's only a matter of time when some mosfet will die due to overheating. Dell left no opportunity for long working videocard. It will burn out some day. Just matter of time.

Do you want to try this trick with your desktop 200w videocard? Then smell it!
    Disgustingly!
    This is several thousands dollars "overclockable" laptop. I can't find an explanation for this other then planned breakdowns.

6. REAN1MAT0R

Reputations:
  7. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt output does not work with the 9900kf

Biker Gremling likes this.
  8. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Contact Dell about the issue and have them send you replacement parts or a new laptop, who knows what the longevity of the components will be after all that overheating.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

9. firedragon247

firedragon247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope you can help me. I have had my laptop for just under 14 days. Due to work I haven’t set up until this weekend.

Playing WoW and FPS of 160+ on ultra settings. So really pleased, performance fan settings. Then 5 minutes in and FPS halved, 5min slow for FPS to increase again, only to slow again. Then found this forum...

RTX2080 and i9-9900. On a cooling pad, thought I was future proofing and instead I have a very expensive laptop that in my opinion is not fit for purpose

I have read about the undervolting and rollback to BIOS 1.5.0 but honestly, don’t think it should be necessary. I did have a try of the undervolt but it didn’t help. Still keeps throttling

So, return request raised

So, I do like the laptop. But want to know, does the RTX 2070 suffer? If I were to get one how much slower is it?

I am reading that the processor may also have issues, so same thing, if I also dropped a version down, how much slower would it be?

Should I forget area 51m altogether and look at the m17?

So disappointed.

10. REAN1MAT0R

Reputations:
    I will try but anyway. This heatsink will not have any contact with heatpipes or some airflow. It will be just heatsink inside "box"

Papusan likes this.