*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JDM101

JDM101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Much appreciated - this puts my mind at ease somewhat. On the SSD front I'll probably do exactly what you suggested. On the panel side of things, the only options are 144HZ with Tobii and without GSYNC, or the same thing with GSYNC for an extra $50. Given what I've been reading / seeing on youtube, having GSYNC turned on seems to offer a bit of a framerate bump, such that it's $50 well spent - that was why I was inclined that way. I guess I didn't appreciate the BIOS issue - what would I potentially want to be doing there? I'm probably not sophisticated enough as a user of these things to really know what I'm doing messing around with BIOS.

I really don't care about Tobii eye tracking; it seems like a pretty meaningless gimmick so if I could save money I'd remove it, but it's included on both 144hz options, so.

2. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The thing with G-Sync is that it requires a direct connection between the GPU and the monitor. Due to this G-Sync laptops have better performance because the display signal ins't routed through the Intel GPU. HOWEVER, the non G-Sync A51m has still a dedicated connection, and since there is no performance loss (you won't be able to run Optimus also).

The BIOS thing is for should you want to run a RTX 2080 in the future, you could install BIOS 1.5.0 and don't have a 79°C temperature cap on the GPU. However, there are ways around this.

One advantage of G-Sync is that, when you are about to sell the laptop, due to it having that option it will be an easier sell (or you will be able to sell it for more).

carlodelmazo and Tim V. like this.
  3. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    mmm, shouldn't be a problem tbh, usually I always forget to connect them or forget one of them (jumps that warning about using it with less power and such) and put them or move them and re-plug them together after setting them up correctly in my table and never happened what you describe, did you talk to dell? I mean your laptop is dead I guess they will just replace the problematic part. Does you get any feedback from the power button when turning it on? should give you a color code to make you understand what problem might be.

4. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It dosent do a thing, apparently my board is shorted completely.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

5. WaifuIsLaifu

WaifuIsLaifu Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first time posting but I thought I should tell this so others may get some use of this. I made the mistake of updating my bios to 1.7.3 and I now have that dreaded 75 degree GPU throttling. I almost put a fist through the screen but I have figured out how to deal with this issue. GPU UNDERVOLTING! In MSI Afterburner (after you find a guide to unlock voltage control) you can lock the GPU to a set frequency and voltage. After setting my GPU to 1875 MHz at 875 mV, my temps have never gone above 67 degrees in any game I've tried. I really recommend that you give this a shot before you break your computer in frustration.

pathfindercod, c69k, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went down the same analysis tree when I purchased mine. And ultimately ennded up adding things that would be difficult or impossible to upgrade later.

For example, I was told on this forum that the 2060 variant has less cooling, while to 2070 and 2080 have a cooling upgrade. So i did the 2070.

I went dark. Too many complaints about the light version.

I did the gsync monitor. I saw another post where the advantages were succinctly laid out And it is a difficult upgrade later.

Now for storage, I went with the base drive and added my own. (Samsung)
    Getting it to work was a nightmare, BUT I had great help on this forum, and we got it sorted. It is easy to add drive and I think you will easily find good deals on BF.

As to warranty...... I have read every post on this thread. I decided a warranty was a good investment (first time I have ever purchased a PC warrenty). 2 years is affordable....
    And I did have an issue with my sound card that was replaced already.

Good luck with your purchase!

hmscott likes this.
  7. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Makes perfect sense now, no mine doesn't click at all, it seems solid? I'd definitely contact Dell if its bothering you. Unless mines is broken and yours is how its supposed to be....

9. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mines the defective one, but I'm not sure my OCD will tolerate having a tech come out and put their paws over my beastbook, I was just hoping everyone else had the same tactile experience.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Why not use a proper undervolt? I set 1905Mhz (my full boost clock) at 0.950v in MSi Afterburner and it runs well.

Memory overclock of +200Mhz should be enough for any FPS boost in game you may want although very little. I normally run stock for gaming unless I have old hardware and really need the extra FPS.