*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Howdy folks.

I have a couple questions relating to heatsinks, which I'm sure has been answered somewhere in the 15880 posts but I can't find it, probably until I post this.

How many heatsink variants are there and how do they correlate to sku's? I've seen 3 variants now, 3 heat pipes (https://imgur.com/XhvgJ7s) 7 and 8 heat pipes.

I ordered the 51m base model + paid the exorbitant upgrade fee for a RTX2070.
    Why is there such a high price difference between the 2060/2070?
    490-BEYU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready) $750
    490-BFJO NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready) $100

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There is enough in one tube for roughly 4-5 repastes (both CPU and GPU).

DreDre, raybies and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are only 2 types of heatsink designs, the 3 heatpipe and the 7 heatpipe one. The 8 heatpipe one was a prototype.

In my testing, the 7 heatpipe heatsink is good for a sustained load of ~125W on the CPU and ~170W on the GPU. The 3 heatpipe heatsink is useless.

The expense of the upgrade depends on the price of the base configuration. When ordering is best to play with the website and see what gives you the best deal for your needs.

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Zoledz

Zoledz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Back with same news and question. So I tried to return my 51m but unfortunately couldn't since the law in my country it rather complicated. Anyway. Dell replaced my mobo and now it seems to pass all tests without problems. The one problem is that my disk Adata sx8200 512GB still bug the windows. I mean if I have only one m2 ssd connected the windows start and run fine. Then if I connect Adata it won't. Only alienware logo and nothing more. So I spoke to support and they said that they can't guarantee compatibility of this ssd. And here is my question. Is there any ssd that I can buy that will work? I mean I don't need it to be extremely fast. Just need it to work. Is Intel 660p a safe bet?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have Sabrent Rockets in mine which work fine. I know people here have used Samsung 970, Intel 660p and HP EX950.

Hope you get it sorted.

DreDre and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  6. raybies

raybies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So which sku comes w/ the 3 heat pipes?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe its the i7 8700 with RTX 2060.

raybies and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  8. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i haven't tried the Valve Index, but i have been using a Samsung Odyssey headset for a few months with the same spec A51m. i have mostly been playing Project Cars 2 with a wheel setup, VR golf, and Arizona Sunshine.

9. Zoledz

Zoledz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just want to try one More thing. Is there any option in a51m to choose from which drive to boot? I think this should be the issue that laptop try to boot from the empty disc

10. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question. I'm on the last BIOS before the throttle down of the GPU. I'm trying to make sure the battery stays at a lower level when constantly plugged in. I changed the option in the BIOS to "primarily AC use" but I didn't see any limit. Dell's power app doesn't let me adjust the limit as I think it's aimed for XPS owners. Someone on here mentioned a way to limit the max charge of the battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Fire Tiger likes this.