*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. AlexIonita

AlexIonita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I am in the UK and I can barely find any micron ones here... and it s a hit or miss with the pulled out ones.
    Question: Shouldn t it be accepting the combo 2xmicron 16gb ram along with 32GB (2x16GB) HyperX DDR4 2666Mhz CL15 ram - HX426S15IB2/16 ? I knew it doesn t need to be the same brand...just same specs.

I did test just the 2 new memory modules and they did not work....got rejected....laptop froze and bios sent error for incompatibility

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try G.Skill memory. I had 2800mhz ram and it worked flawlessly in the Alienware even though it couldn’t run at rated speeds.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure those Micron OEM sticks you have aren't CL15, but CL19 which is standard for OEM RAM at 2666 MHz (confirmed by looking at some Micron Chinese auctions at ebay). A better candidate for compatibility would be some other OEM 2666 modules, like Hynix or Samsung which are commonly used by Dell in Alienware laptops and are also CL19. Coincidentally, I got a matching stick of Hynix OEM 2400MHz RAM for my Alienware 17 R4 from UK recently, so you should be fine with pulled RAM as RAM in general is not prone to dying.

But, since you're still in EU for the time being, I found these matching Micron 16GB sticks, for example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-16GB...876834?hash=item4d934e7ee2:g:CdEAAOSwPXJczwf5

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    c69k and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright update time. I received a package in the mail and it had my heatsink in it ( hurrah!) The part number I was given on the phone before did not match what it said on the packing slip so the "real" part number is p92k8. I'll be installing this part hopefully today but figured i would give you guys the info in case someone else ends up with their notebook being shipped without the heatsink.

5. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    update, raised a complaint to escalation team and I received a call within 6 hours. And they are replacing it with a brand new one.

Biker Gremling and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's awesome. They didn't have those when I was looking for one a couple of months ago.

Ended up having to contact Frank and he sent a package the next day (but I was told it was going to be a gamble whether or not I'd receive it, and if I did, if it would be the right part.) It actually ended up coming and I didnt have to pay a dime for it because he wasnt sure if it would even be possible to get it. Ended up asking for another one for the wifes laptop and didnt have to pay for that one either because they weren't in the system at the time so they couldn't just charge me a random amount.

Glad to see they're selling these now, gives 2060 and 2070 owners a chance to install the heatsink and lower gpu temps (and possibly avoid the mosfets blowing.)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After much testing my new laptop with the BIOS 1.7.3, I decided to give BIOS 1.5.0 a go.

Indeed temperature throttling is gone, but I can't overclock my 9700k past 4.9GHz. I don't know if this is due to the older BIOS. Maybe I should go to BIOS 1.3.2? Is there a setting I should change instead?

Previously I was able to OC to 5.2 GHz on all cores, which was amazing for games. Even 5.3 GHz was kind of possible.

I'm also going to try the 200W vBIOS, not to run the RTX 2080 at that power, but rather to remove the power limit because after a while hitting power limits MSI Afterburner looses control over the undevolt and reverts back to the stock curve, causing more throttling.

P. S. Wanted to show and talk about the specific laptop first, but guess I have been very busy lately "setting things up"

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Virale likes this.
  9. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are these finally safe to buy after 1581 pages of this thread?

nader_rizk2003 likes this.
  10. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is safe but most important is get long warranty with it. 3 years or more to guarantee if anything happened, either you get it fixed or replaced with new model after this one discontinued.

Fire Tiger likes this.