*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Tried it, it made 0 difference

Papusan likes this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Posting this in case someone else experiences the same problem and uses the search:

My 51m suddenly started boot looping last week. It would turn on, fans spin, keyboard lights turn on and the power button would suddenly go red and fade off as the machine abruptly shut down. It would turn back on immediately and continue this cycle indefinitely unless both the power adapters and the battery were unplugged. Holding the power button had no effect because it would reboot before shutting off. (FWIW, there is also a power button on the motherboard directly that you can easily push to turn the machine on if the motherboard is not installed in the body. This was insanely helpful.)

I tried several fixes including resetting the NVRAM/CMOS with the CLRP1 contacts on the motherboard and removing hardware in stages until it was just a motherboard without CPU/RAM/GPU. When there was no CPU, RAM, GPU and/or CMOS battery installed, I always got the expected blinking error lights identified in the service manual. The order of the lights in the manual also appears indicative of the order the checks proceed in. After putting it all back together, it would eventually bootloop again every time.

When I was about to call Dell for service, thinking the MB or GPU died, I thought to quickly check the MB & GPU for a short to ground or other obvious continuity problem in a few places on the board. I also randomly thought check the main battery and CMOS battery. The CMOS battery read a little low at 2.92 volts compared to 3.18 volts of a new CR2032 coin cell battery. I figured I might as well try replacing it and as soon as I did, the machine immediately booted up without any problems. I've never seen a machine behave in such a way because of a CMOS battery. At least give me an error message... When the CMOS battery is removed completely, the machine won't boot at all and you get a series of blinking light codes. When the battery is bad (as mine was), it just violently reboots every few seconds.

FWIW: I checked two other area 51m machines of colleagues, and both of their CMOS batteries also had much lower voltage than any of the dozen brand new 2032 batteries I tested. They read between 2.95v and 3.05v. The battery assembly looks very similar to those used in other Dell devices so I wonder if there is some old stock being used leading to the extremely short life of the battery.

TL;DR: If your 51m is boot looping in very short intervals after startup, check your CMOS battery. It might be bad.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm sorry. Let me take a look at Dell docs for more info.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    We are stuck at 87C which is a fair temp limit. I recommend increasing fan speed.

Spartan and chewbakaats58 like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As long you are on old bios:)

Vasudev and chewbakaats58 like this.
  6. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol true. I wouldn't have it any other way. Ain't nobody got time for a 75C throttle limit lol.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Video tutorial on GPU temp limit

Actually 75C can be overcome using ASUS GPU Tweak. The issue now is the 80C limit.

I recommend people with 1.6.2 or 1.5.4 trying out the GPU Tweak app and see if they can get to 87C.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  8. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Awesome! Thanks!

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Got my hands on a batch of 6 DGFF 2080 GPUs (all second batch with upgraded NCP-303150 mosfets) via a friend in China and was able to cherry pick from them remotely after paying the remote tester a certain fee. Now the 2080 that's in my computer has an impressive 2010 MHz stable core clock at a measly 975mV which gradually clocks down to 1980 MHz as the temp hovers around 74 degrees under full load after half hour of gaming. Very happy with this! I noticed that this card stays hella lot cooler at higher voltages as compared to the previous one that I had. Sold my old DGFF today in a great deal! :D
    Here's my new curve! :cool:
    [​IMG]

c69k likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Why the Cpu clock drops? This happened with both bios versions. Same behaviour as you can see with the Cpu in Aw 17 R5.
    Skjermbilde (66).png

Rei Fukai likes this.