*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Mine is quite fast. Just a few seconds to be at the login screen for windows. I ran into a similar issue with the Area-51m awhile back. I think updating the BIOS had fixed it. But I am not sure why it even happened. When my amp is connected it's much slower. But the issue of it taking awhile happened before I got my GPU in the amp.

Fastest is probably my M18xR2, literally like 2-3 seconds after pressing the button it's on windows screen.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So I got my hands on a brand new DGFF mosfet heat sink for RTX-2070 and RTX-2080 cards for this machine. If somebody wants to upgrade their 2070 or wants to get their hands on a brand new 2080 heat sink, they can ping me.

Rei Fukai, phusy and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't mind, could you upload some images about new RTX 2080 heatsink, and compared with the old one if possible please? Thanks in advance.

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There is no difference construction wise however I noticed a rubber like tab against the thermal pad contact line on top of the fins that helps exert extra pressure on the thermal pad contact and makes the card seat more firmly in the chassis. I noticed this right away. Other than this, no difference. I'll post pictures shortly.

phusy and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    An engineer should be here in a few hours to replace my screen due to the dead pixel. Anyone had a Dell tech experience in the UK? Read some horror stories but I don't think I have the confidence to replace it myself.

How long is it likely to take to replace?

UPDATE: Been and gone, was a bit heavy handed, but thats maybe just because I'm a soft touch dealing with the machine. Other than that it went well, old screen out and new one in and tested all within 45 mins or so.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whoo, thanks for your information. It's just a minor upgrade so I guess I can live happily with my old heatsink.

S.K likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine only arrived last week, hopefully I have the upgrade, whether it makes a difference or not is another question.

S.K likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I have the same issue on my Echo model as well. There are 2 things, one is Kionix freefall driver must be updated to latest UWD driver and another thing might be a little difficult i.e. Reset NVRAM completely by shorting CLRP pin or using AMI BIOS flasher and valid rom by passing P,B and N to reprogram main block and clear NVRAM to factory defaults. Disclaimer: You'll lose your RAID setup and Bootloaders sometimes.

Mr. Fox and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  9. raza1983

raza1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have also been experiencing slow boot times, its really frustrating.
    i hate that it does the rainbow puke light show for such a long time before it will post past bios to windows loading screen.

Ive treid a few things to sort it but to little or no avail, and since someone said its normal a few pages back Ive given up trying

10. torax

torax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My booting time:

18 seconds and I'm ready to login on windows.

Boot: samsung 970 pro 1tb.
    I don't use raid, but i have also 1 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB) and a 860 evo basic 2tb.
    This is a 9700k and nvidia 2070 with 32gb ram.

Edit: specs

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019