*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wasn't this the same on our GT75's? I ran a 860 evo and booted faster than your nvme. There is a delay in the controller loading up.

Spartan likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    True, just wanted to confirm. This is so frustrating man sometimes I just wanna turn on the laptop real quick to print something and it bugs the heck out of me waiting on that Windows spinning icon to start spinning.

We spends thousands of dollars on these machines the least I could expect for it is to boot fast.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Remember all memory slots filled also affect boot time. What you said... “We spend thousands of dollars on these machines”. Yeah, ram ain’t cheap and you got payback time:D

Remove 2 sticks and see if it helps:p

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  4. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure it helps bro, but I have 2 x 1TB (Sabrent Rockets) in raid0 as my boot drive and its about 5-20 secs to reach login, can post a vid tomorrow if needed.

Spartan likes this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Please do

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Neobunny

Neobunny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I followed this thread up through May as I was planning on purchasing a 51M, but stopped with all the reports of burning motherboards and order delays. I am now re-thinking of ordering a 51M as I can get a discount through my employer purchase plan with Dell.
    1. After five months or so, has Dell resolved the faulty motherboard component issue reported back in April?
    2. I read that all Dell systems are shipped from the factory with the SATA mode set to RAID ON regardless of ordering single or multiple drives. I plan to order a single SSD from Dell (as I don’t see an option for dual SSDs non-raid) and keep as the boot drive. I will then purchase an additional SSD and install separately to use for data. When I add the second SSD, is it going to be considered a part of a RAID array or will it be considered two separate drives? I have no experience with RAID and I don’t want anything to do with it.
    3. I recall some discussion that it is best to order TWO SSD drives from Dell as it will ship with heat-sinks for both drives. If you order ONE drive it will not ship with an extra heat-sink if a secondary drive is purchased later. Is this still the case? Is there a way to order TWO SSDs from Dell in Non-RAID 0?

7. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) Yes. In fact, not everyone had a bad machine. I've had mine since April and it still runs like day one
    2) Any Dell Machine you buy is setup in RAID not AHCI regardless of the model or how many SSDs you order. I know it's dumb but it is what it is. You'd need to format and clean install yourself if you want to set your system in AHCI.
    Even if the machine came setup in RAID mode for the boot mode, simply adding another SSD later on will not magically make them operate in RAID mode, it's just the BIOS is setup in RAID mode but a RAID array must be created for those 2 drivers first to make them look as one large driver then you'd have to reinstall the OS again. If you simply add another drive on a RAID configured machine that was setup as a single drive, then that new SSD will simply be a 2nd drive that you can add your data to and use.
    3) Get the machine configured as you want from Dell from day one, easier for warranty claims in the future and you'd get your SSD heatsinks.

Vasudev, jclausius and pathfindercod like this.
  8. Neobunny

Reputations:
    Thanks. Is there a way to order two m.2 SSDs without being configured in an array set (RAID 0)? I don’t see an option for it in the hard drive section on the configuration page.

9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I never order from Dell so I can't help there. Perhaps someone else might chime in.

10. Neobunny

Reputations:
    I think the answer is probably going to be “just call Dell and ask.” Thanks again for your time.

Spartan likes this.