*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not to pull a post out of obscurity, but I think noticed this as well on my 780w adapter. I would plug it in right now to test, but I sent mine back to them and they've had it for about a month, unable to reproduce the following problem. I have horrible coil whine from the power supply at LOW draw. Once I load up a program that draws some load the whine goes away.

This reminds me that I need to follow up with them as to the status of it.

2. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have an idea why these keys stopped working ?

[​IMG]

3. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Keyboards go go bad from generally 2 things, a drop of liquid, or simply too much heat. You will want to replace under warranty.

4. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    have u installed it yet... lol?

5. quarky42

quarky42 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read (and it makes sense to me on the surface) that RAID Striping two M.2 disks together might not really perform any faster than the same M.2 drives would individually (970 Evo's in this case,) in theory.

Has anyone actually tested this on the Area 51m and seen what the performance difference is between 970 EVOs in RAID 0 versus non-RAID config?

I did find a benchmark of the factory SK Hynix M.2 NVME drives that shows a max performance of approximately 3.6 GB/s read and roughly 2.6 GB/s write in the RAID 0 config. Elsewhere, I found a single SK Hynix M.2 drive benchmark that was around 1.7GB/s read and 1.1 GB/s write. So, it would seem that with slower M.2 drives, the RAID 0 helped them achieve faster overall throughput on large sequential files, but that is only by comparing two separate benchmarks to see what might be the case.

With all the people here, I figured someone might have tested this already? If not, I certainly don't mind testing it when my laptop gets here. I have 2 drives ready to put in there. If I have to image them twice, that's not a big deal.

6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    100% this. You will only regret it later on.

Besides of being stuck in an unupgradable hw limbo, you're at the mercy of the soldered components. If one of such components happens to die, you can't just switch out the faulty component and move on. No, you're most likely having to replace the whole motherboard.

And that's a pretty penny outside of warranty.

jclausius and Papusan like this.
  7. JFluke

JFluke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Just received my Area 51M today and am trying to install my SSD with a clean windows install, but can't get the BIOS boot menu to recognise a USB. It only gives option for Windows Boot Manager / IPV6 & IPV4?

I've tried reinstalling the boot software 3 times, so the USB is fine, but can;t get the USB option.

Can anyone advise?

(First post, so hope it's in the right place)

pathfindercod likes this.
  8. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I remember struggling with this myself on day one of my a51m. If you didn't replace the factory drive, are you able to boot windows, insert the USB, then advanced startup options (or hold shift when selecting restart) and can you boot from your USB device there?

9. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Marked Urgent no less. Mark an update as urgent with no changelog, isn't that special.

10. AlexIonita

AlexIonita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question, I want to replace the factory small ssd 128gb with a
    Sabrent M.2 NVME PCIe Internal SSD (1TB, PCIe 3.0)

How can I be able to keep the original licenced windows and all the drivers and alienware specific software ?

pathfindercod likes this.