*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    have u sold the other laptop ?

2. S.O.L.O.

S.O.L.O. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Obviously the industry would rather maintain the status quo which is why it will make more sense to stick with desktop and a $1500 gaming laptop, for $5000 you can build a portable itx rig that does not get past 60 C even on a stress test and also buy a laptop to check emails and browse the internet.

Truth is laptop sales have gone down massively as most people are buying desktops and phones.

IMO the laptop industry needs more innovation and 24" gaming laptop/desktop replacement with amazing thermals would be ideal for pro gamers and content creators.

Who really plays games on a 15" or 17" screen? Most people who own a 51M probably have it connected to an external monitor.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't think the comparison between a laptop and a desktop will ever be fair.

4. S.O.L.O.

S.O.L.O. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is a good point, however the 51m and other similar large form factor gaming laptops are mostly intended to be desktop replacements.

Roccat Sova lapboard is about 25" long x 11" wide
    24" monitor is about 22" long x 13" wide

Alienware could easily make 24" gaming laptop with a lightweight OLED screen. With all that space there would be room for amazing thermals, large battery, and the 10-15 pounds would be spread over a large surface area to keep it reasonably portable and comfortable.

The 24" screen could also be detachable so the computer can be placed on a desk and connected to external monitor setup as desktop replacement or used on the couch as a lapboard for bigscreen tv.

Someone send this post to Alienware or Razer so they can demo a prototype at CES and this could easily become industry standard gaming laptop/desktop replacement.

lapboard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2019
  5. rodarkone

rodarkone Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Agreed - but this is a "purpose" it doesn't automatically mean that the price should be the same/similar, I think the reasons are very simple, desktops are very streamlined/standardized in terms of the suit of components contained, laptops are not, each manufacturer is building his own stuff, this involve a higher cost.

Example MXM3.0b was a standard, and now that is not there anymore .... I have upgraded a few times my laptops with components, but is usually under same generation. (desktop is up to 2-3 generations)

Again, I don't try to defend Dell, I got screwed more than 1 time with their product, but the others are not "perfect" either ... (ex. my Clevo that had issues)

Overall is a desktop better than a laptop, well ... it depends:

1. do you want portability - then answer is no
    2. do you want to have a low volume of space utilized by your computer - then no again
    3. do you want a better price/performance ratio ... then definitely yes :)

(I did some calculation in the past, not 100 % if is still valid with the current prices of components, but a laptop was almost 2x more expensive than a desktop with the same performance)

So if you only want only one (laptop/desktop) ... of course you need to take the correct approach for what suits your needs :) if you can have both ... then you can have best of both worlds :)

6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Papusan

My tweet to Alienware Support:

Let's see what they say

luciela, Tim V., jclausius and 3 others like this.
  7. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    24" laptop? Are you high? At that point it's clearly not portable at all (which is the entire purpose of laptops) so why even bother? People already complain that these 'desktop replacement laptops' are too heavy at 9lbs, can you imagine what a 24" laptop would realistically weigh? Who's even the market for something like that? I can see maybe a 19", or 21" sized laptop (Predator 21X) being somewhat feasible but good luck bringing something like that anywhere.

I guess it just seems like an absurd idea to me but to each their own lol.

8. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would perform better in games? Do you guys have an estimation on how much?
    Area 51M i7 9700K + RTX 2080
    or
    XPS 15 i7 9750H + RTX 2080 (thunderbolt 3 external enclosure).

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If they come with same useless answers, then you should post my reply above:) You could of course put in this link in your next tweet... https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/driver-update-security-vulnerability-august-2019

Tim V. and jclausius like this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Their response:
    My response:

Their response:

Classical Dell Swiss Cheese :rolleyes:

Tim V., jclausius, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.