*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. GerhardK

GerhardK Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Will do. I'm playing on replacing the M.2 with a crucial 1tb M.2, and the hybrid with my Samsung sata SSD. I'll try a new clean install and if that doesn't work maybe try cloning the from the old one. That's the plan anyway.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Upgrading drives isn't the issue, it's trying to clone your windows install over. IMHO a clean install is always the best when moving to a new drive/controller.

3. Virale

Virale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Something kind of similar was happening to me when I added my own NVME to be the main drive and the SSHD secondary, it would refuse to “take” the NVME as the primary drive no matter what I did in BIOS. The fix was to remove the SSHD and allow the PC to boot up with just the NVME installed (the other drive physically disconnected). After that, I re-added the SSHD and haven’t had that happen again. Try it.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So...I am thinking I should

Bump....anyone have any advice?

Question is...is that
    Thank you. I tried it....as soon as I reconnect the sshd it goes back to the endless windows repair loop..im gonna have to try a clean install.

Don't clone! There's a good imaging app recommend here...I'll try to find the post...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2019
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect. The best.

luciela, Vasudev, DreDre and 3 others like this.
  6. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    + this. Don't make my mistake.

Vasudev, Virale and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know I´m late to the game but repadded (Gelid extreme) and repasted with liquid metal (Conductonaut) after removing those original heatsink screws and used new M2 screws to increase heatsink preasure on GPU and CPU (using a delidded 9900k with the rockit 9th gen ihs. Temps are way better now, I would say around 10 Kelvin less than before. Did not use foam as a barrier for cunductonaut but thermal Tape and the Gelid pads. So far no problems.

In Control maxed out with all RTX features GPU goes up to 80C and CPU to 60C, fps around 70, GPU clock around 2GHz. Game looks on native 1080p 144Hz better than on my 4k Desktop.

Now, if only @Prema would release a worthy bios for the 51m, I have given up on Dell fixing this bios. But the notebook Is sooo sexy, best looking notebook I owned. Maybe we should start a petition for Prema magic? I would gladly pay him for a bios worthy of this beast, even if it would eventually blow up ;-))

8. Virale

Reputations:
    Don’t quote me, but I read somewhere in the thread that the BIOS is encrypted, so a modded BIOS is something that is very unlikely we’ll see, even from Prema.

9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Not gonna happen, EVER.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Virale

Reputations:
    Yep. I tried Samsung Magician clone several times = crap & problems every time. Then I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone = worked the first time. My only issue was what I described a few posts back, that resolved itself by removing the original drive and then installing it again.

Mr. Fox likes this.