*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i have a bit of a similar issue since yesterday, but on my side it happens after i close the "world war z" game. system runs fine but around 10 to 30 sec after i exit out of world war z system freezes and reboots after around 25 seconds. but i'm almost certain that my issue has to do with the game... even though it ran fine just up to yesterday (and i did nothing / changed nothing.
    bsod saying hal.dll was the problem... mkay... ;-)

2. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah the only update I saw this morning was Fortnite..that would be wild if their game update did this. I did get a "dpc_watchdog_violation" bsod at one point, but hasn't come back during all of this.

Well after doing some testing, it appears one of the 256gb nvme Toshiba drives that came with it originally has gone bad. I thought these type of drives were supposed to be more reliable than SSDs & HDDs? Probably a cheap part on Dell's end too doesn't help.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2019
  3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't know if anyone had a similar issue.
    Yesterday I updated to the latest aliewnare CC, and OC controls, also installed the latest bios. Today I installed the latest Nvidia driver.
    My CPU is at a -155mv undervolt, has been running stable like that for a couple months.

But today, suddenly my 2nd monitor went black, the laptop monitor froze. I couldn't do anything, It froze like that for like 5-10 seconds. Than it rebooted.
    I checked event viewer, and it says:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffb68cdccc8028, 0x00000000b2000000, 0x0000000000000014). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.

Anyone any ideas?

4. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone have any idea when we might get an updated nVIDIA GeForce RTX driver from Dell? I'm already getting games telling me they need at least 430.86. Dell has had the 425.46 available since May. I know I can update via nVidia but with these cards I'd rather stick with Dells release.

5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Not anytime soon. I also like sticking to OEM official drivers as much as possible but if a new game requires a new driver then there's no escaping it. I did update to the latest driver BTW and it worked just fine.

OEMs rarely update drivers and Dell is the worst of them.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And ssd temps have been ok? The Toshiba drives have run damn hot in previous Aw models. You'll need to use a heat spreder. Either the Dell orginal, proper thermal pads or 3rd party HS model.
    Nice. This means Dell give the middle finger in security. Maybe the burning mess, is still on their agenda. Aka need to be very careful with pushing out new Nvidia drivers. All the other AW models have got newer Nvidia drivers than this.
    Nvidia recommends updating your GPU drivers immediately to fix security flaws ...

Maybe try drivers from the thin line. Dell have upgradede and pushed out newer drivers for the new m line. Even for last years models.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-m15-laptop
    upload_2019-8-27_22-44-32.png

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...ode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-m17-r2-laptop

Old model also with Nvidia drivers with security fix
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...r3vp&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-r5
    See above. Test it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Tim V. and Spartan like this.
  7. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    strange, now that i think of it i believe my problems also started since the new oc controlls and command center... :-/

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    they can't be more reliable just because they are nvme SSD. NVMe is simply a protocal just like sata which now being used by marketing like crazy. SSD itself is PCIe and still needs a pcb/controller and bunch of other crap. pcb is thinner and more stuff cramped into smaller footprint than 2.5" HDD/SSD and they run hot. if anything they should be less reliable when heat/other physics are considered.

Papusan likes this.
  9. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, if I want the Chimei screen (currently have the AUO), can I just order it from Dell and replace it myself? I have Gsync as well, do I reuse the Gsync chip or do the monitors just come with their own Gsync and it's a straight screen swap?

10. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a good question and to be honest I didn't really monitor the ssd temps. They did both come with thermal pad setup. Just tested and it maxed at 53C while gaming. Is that good or bad?