*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It's your money at the end of the day. Do as you please. I'd buy a new machine. ;)

RMLJD, Rei Fukai and Fire Tiger like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I must have excellent eyesite, 4K on my Clevo P870DM looked amazing (with 150% scaling lol) There's definitely a difference when I went from 4K 60hz > 1440p 120Hz > 1080p 144Hz but the non scaling issues of 1080p are nice. Even til now there are some scaling issues in windows.

Anyone with 1.7.2 can confirm throttle point for GPU?

Ah there goes my idea to try this in the Area-51m: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gt72s-subwoofer-installation-m18xr2.821387/

Fire Tiger and Kennypc1026 like this.
  3. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. But did you in fact use the 9th Gen copper ihs from rockit or an older version. I also purchased solder remover I think called quicksilver. This removes the indium solder leading to a lesser z height of the die itself, so I fear the original ihs won't make any good contact with the die anymore when liquid metal is used and my understanding was that the rockit 9th Gen copper heatsink compensates this height difference but has in total the same height as the original cpu including the original ihs by using a thicker ihs.

Gesendet von meinem EVR-L29 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This was mentioned many times here in the past, I, for one, have never expected to get 2666Mhz support in this system in the first place. And I'm willing to bet my house on it that the GPU throttling limit has not been raised in the new BIOS.
    Azor's dream of having a 200W vBIOS in this system evaporated the moment they realised the power draw of the system was unmanageable and they quickly released a 180W vBIOS to save some systems, much less than the original 190W by the way.
    What we have right now with 1.3.2 BIOS and 200W vBIOS is the best performing Area 51m we can expect to have, although, it's the hope that kills, isn't it?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    RMLJD, jclausius, Terreos and 4 others like this.
  5. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's not so much that I'm expecting it, just hoping for it.

Maybe one day. Maybe not. Can't really complain as it's still a very high performing laptop and I enjoy it still. It just sucks to have the hardware limited by something as silly as software.

mason2smart and Fire Tiger like this.
  6. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried 1.7.2 out. It throttles at 75C. But at least no stutter occurs it just clocks down my 2080 to say 1800MHz to keep the temperature at max 75C. However, I oc with afterburner and uninstalled alienware command center. Maybe this was the trick to avoid the stutter bug clocking down to around 300Mhz for a couple of minutes. Now, if the temp target could be raised to 87C everything would be fine because the new bios supports also g-sync on my chi mei panel. The problem seems to be the buggy command center and Alienware is doing literally nothing to fix this crap software.

mason2smart and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    But it looks so pretty! :D

The 300 Mhz issue is sounding similar to what I was experiencing with my unit before I returned it. But, my issue was caused by not having both power bricks plugged in and having to reboot the system before it would recognize the second power brick again.

I imagine even if you uninstall ACC you'd still be limited to 75C though? Since that would be baked into the laptops bios and not ACC itself? Just curious.

bsch3r and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Zoledz

Zoledz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I have a quick question. I'm considering two options: A51 with 9700/2070 or gs75/gx701/m17 with 9750h/2080max q. I just want gaming power. Some reviews show that 2080mq is more powerful then 2070 others don't. Aaaaand what's the truth? Is a51m 2070 more powerful? Ntbkcheck graph shows 2070 desktop is better then 2080mq but how about 2070 in A51?

9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Nicolas Paiva

Nicolas Paiva Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you care only about performance, Area-51M i7-9700K / 2070 will be your best option.