*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not on twitter... anyone know who replaced Azor or holds a similar position to Azor that I might be able to reach out to to get this resolved?

MSI never treated me this way lol

2. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone else upset Dell is not offering a 8K display?..this is supposed to be cutting edge. I can go to a store and buy an 8K panel, but alienware could not add that to their flagship product? What happened to them?

They have fallen as far as falcon northwest

3. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Seriously? Hopefully your being sarcastic to the ridiculousness of a 4k panel on a 17"?

Have you ever sent a laptop in for repair to MSI?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
    Fire Tiger, S.K, mason2smart and 3 others like this.
  4. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I am 50 and wear readimg glasses...I researched the system before I purchased it. 1080 is fine for me. I wonder....I noticed you don't list a 51M in your stable....are u unhappy you can't buy one 4k? You have one but have buyers remorse its not 4k?

Not starting a war...just curious....

My friend...you understand me.
    But don't tell anyone else....I want to see who piles on...its a social experiment.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    LOL. Even 4K is horrible to me on less than about a 24 inch screen. 2560*1440p @ 120-144Hz is the resolution sweet spot for a 17" laptop. For 15" 1080p @ 120-144Hz is perfect. Those 15-inchers also often have weaker GPUs to accommodate the crappier cooling, so that works out good with 1080p as well.

Hmm. I like how you think. Cute. Very cute.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    DreDre, DeeX, nkc and 8 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    New Alienware OC Controls app is out. But nothing special has been added.

New Alienware Command Center app is out...
    This package contains the Alienware Command Center application. The package includes Main Dashboard, Games Library, Game Profile Manager, AlienFX Lighting Manager (AlienFX compatible systems and peripherals only), Macro Manager (Supported peripherals and systems only).
    Fixes & Enhancements
    Fixes
    - Fixed the issue where Alienware Sound Center is not displayed in Fusion tab when the application is updated from older version

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bump up.

8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nop never had to. Support engineer walked me through repairs over the phone

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Stay away from these gimmicky mods on this machine unless you are mounting a nitrogen cooling system on the back or planning to submerge the entire laptop in mineral oil and running solely via external cable connected display. The stock IHS is as good as you can get with the available heat sink. Plus, a minute z-height difference (and there is huge difference in rockit one, I have it and don't use it in this machine for the very same reason), you might end up warping your heat sink. P.S., AX200 works quite well. But it will be fruitless to upgrade to that unless you are willing to upgrade your router as well.

pathfindercod, RMLJD and bsch3r like this.
  10. tdodd

tdodd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have never owned a 51m and would absolutely not spend my money on anything less than a 4k screen at 17". I'm not a gamer. I want the machine for productivity and creativity, plus one game which today I play at around 30-50 (sometimes 10) FPS due to the inadequate horsepower of my current rig. 1080p is simply insufficient real estate, and I hate the crude, jagged nature of the large pixels. I'm fed up staring at then.

Given that I can work at 3200x1800 on a 13.3" screen, moving to 17.3" would require 4162x 2300 for the same pixel density. 4k would suit well enough. 1080p would not.

Kennypc1026 likes this.