*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just test that 9900k CPU in some desktop just to be sure it is still alive. And again, putting some untested things (RAMs ) at least electrically is a big risk.
    Shorted RAMs can kill memory power management and this could be taking the CPU as well to valhalla...

What kind of fault you RAM had?

etern4l likes this.
  2. phusy

phusy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yesterday I just re-opened my laptop and realized the inlet mosfets is Potato AON-6380. For the VGA is a good one 303150. So yeah I think this is the reason why sometimes my laptop is suddenly turn off (and I guess the mosfets is not the only component Dell revised, they also change the power supply behavior to load-balancing instead of primary-secondary loadout).
    Btw, my laptop is fked up when I disassembled the heatsink. The screw no.7 just keep spinning without loose the heatsink while I try to unscrew it clockwise and vice versa. I saw this screw stuck with the bracket hole so I have no idea how to fix it... And my warranty transfer is in progress, so I can't request a warranty service atm... Very pissed off when I prepared Gelid thermal pad + Phobya NanoGrease Extreme and I cannot open my machine...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you find the Chi Mei panel for colours contrast etc ? Do you know the model number ? I new these shipped with auo or LG Phillips not Chi Mei ..

Do you have the 144hrtz gsync spec?

4. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have installed the 9900KF on my area 51m, it is working excellent. Inside bios it says there is an intel HD graphics but I guess this is some sort of bios bug.

S.K and Michele Lubrano Lavadera like this.
  5. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i dont think you should be using KF CPU. your TB3 display output is wired to use the iGPU in the CPU.

Vanya, DaMafiaGamer and hmscott like this.
  6. Michele Lubrano Lavadera

Michele Lubrano Lavadera Newbie

Reputations:
    which bios version are you using?

7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually installed a chi mei/innolux panel in my alienware and I can say this. The contrast is actually a bit better than the LG panel, darker blacks on the windows bar etc and the panel gets slighlty brighter too. Response times are better too I guess. But in everything else, like colour gamut and rgb/srgb %, viewing angles the LG panel straight up destroys it. It’s LG at the end of the day, they will always have superior panels, heck they make panels for Samsung. I wouldn’t be surprised if that new ‘samsung’ oled panel for Razer laptops is actually made by LG, it’s just how it is.

Edit also I have the 144hz gsync spec but gsync doesn’t work :confused:

Probably because my bios is at 1.3.0 and my rtx 2080 is on the second or third rev vbios. I’ll keep it that way, to stop power limit throttling I’ll gladly give up g-sync :D

Papusan and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are they all shipping with the Chi Mei (spelling?) panel now? This may cause issues for anyone getting a 2080 with the view to downgrading the BIOS as I believe downgrading removes Gsync :-(

EDIT: Unless @DaMafiaGamer can maybe confirm or deny this, based on your latest post?

9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ll take a picture

Here you go:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks @DaMafiaGamer, I have no doubt its there somewhere, but where can I see that Gsync is available/supported? Sorry if its blatant

EDIT: I now realise you were confirming that Gsync isn't available. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019