*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell is now showing 2666MHz RAM for configurations of 16GB ..... 32GB and 64GB are still showing 2400MHz.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This was it. Thank you!

There was some "USB suspend" settings in Device Manager which I was not even aware of (Damn Windows 10), turned it off and its smooth as butter now. Why would anyone want to suspend the USB ports while on full power? Only Microsoft programmers must know this answer...
    I've also changed the all power "management" settings through Windows Power Plan (another piece of crap) just to be sure.

Thanks brother. Your input is always appreciated and it's very assuring to see that you still lurk around the AW forums. Thanks again.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

3. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Right. They have replaced my GPU. The system now works but I’ve now finally got around to playing FFXIV on the system and I keep getting massive frame rate slow down on the HDMI output at 4k. From what I can tell the GPU isn’t going over 75c...

This is getting ridiculous!

Edit - downgrading the bios to 1.5 seems to have fixed the issue... what a crap show from Dell. How can they get away with releasing bios updates that gimp performance? Might as well have purchased a laptop for half the prize at the performance that 1.6 gives!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  4. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well crap. Heh, thanks for the info. I guess it is Microsoft Basic Display Adapter for me. Hmmmm. I suppose 2 months of playing Dwarf Fortress during downtime isn't too terrible.

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yep, sadly Alienware hasn't had a mux for the internal display since the 17R4. It's a feature many of wish was still included :(

6. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question now is if 2400 systems can be upgraded to 2666MHz at least for 16GB configurations or if they use a newer revision of the mainboard with better signal quality and only units ordered since today will have the higher ram speed which this notebook should have had from the start...

Gesendet von meinem EVR-L29 mit Tapatalk

7. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Did they replace the GPU at the depot or was it an on-site tech?
    If it was an on-site tech; Do you happen to know if they replaced the two ribbon cables that connect to the GPU?

While its not ideal I agree, several of us have tested this in games with multiple people and the FPS drop is not as drastic as one might expect.
    But with that said, I agree that this is a BS migration attempt and direct resoluion would be better.
    He is not saying to hide them. What he is saying is that people usually post when they are unhappy or have failures and that there are larger numbers of people without issues and are happy that just have not posted because they are happy and have no need to.
    He was illustrating that "IF" every one that was happening and did not have a failure had posted, that the results would be huge and the positive responses would far outweigh the negatives.
    It is kind of like reviews for products or services on Google or Amazon. Typically speaking, people are more prone to write a review when they are mad compared to when they are happy. I deal with this all the time with PR mitigation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  8. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On site. They didn’t replace the GPU cables. He said Dell didn’t give him any spare cables, so he had to use what was there already. Why do you ask?

FPS drop not as drastic as one might expect? With the hdmi output at 4k I was going from 53-60fps to 20-23fps... you call that not drastic?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Because those 2 ribbon cables can go bad even if you look at them sideways. Run Dell Diagnostic test by booting the machine from shutdown state while holding Fn key as you press the power button and keep holding the Fn key until you enter diagnostic utility. Once inside there, run the full test to see if you have any PCIe problems. If everything looks good then it should be fine. Btw, what parts were damaged on your previous GPU (if you were able to look at the old unit before handing it over to the onsite technician)?

P.S., 1.5.4 and above are all optional upgrades at this point in time. You should disable UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates option in your bios to prevent Windows Update from pushing bios updates with regular updates.

10. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No I wasn’t able to inspect it. I didn’t ask to be honest. I doubt a visual test would tell me anything anyways. The card just failed. All working fine now after bios downgrade.