*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Should be? They are. Let's not convert exceptions into norm.

Tim V. likes this.
  2. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where did I buy it from? I bought it from dell and have like four years full complete warranty with onsite and accidental damage included.

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Great! So this means you're good. Hope you get a working system next time and you're able to enjoy it the way I am enjoying beating the holy hell out of my machine (it never shuts down. It's a high-load, multi-VM server plus gaming machine simultaneously), but I've invested a fair bit of time in upgrading thermal components on it before using it the way I use my beater machines. You can search through this thread to find out those in my older posts.

Tim V. likes this.
  4. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm one of the original owners, my original 9900k and 2080 still running strong.... Any other original owners?

5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    me

6. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me
    Tho mines getting fixed

7. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don’t see why we should have to upgrade thermals for such an expensive machine... why the heck did dell lot do this themselves if it is possible? I’m considering asking for a refund now... I need this laptop for heavy video editing too. If this is what happens when you push the GPU I’m dreaded to think what will happen when I use 8k red footage and DaVinci Resolve!

The machine isn’t fit for purpose! Have people had ANY good working units that haven’t failed?

DreDre, lostclusters and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Edwad

Edwad Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my Area51m a week ago. Works great so far.

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That's nothing for this gpu. My machine routinely runs 6-8 virtual machines while the gpu is running as a part of deep learning farm 24/7. And when it is not, it's busy in gaming. I don't think there exists one soul on this entire forum that beats down as hard and for as long on their GPUs as I do. The only rest time for the GPU in my case is when I'm switching applications (10 seconds may be) after 1 or 2 days, depending upon how frequently I game or edit my child's videos. If you want to run a machine on kerosene that came from factory instead of filling it up with high octane fuel instead then this is what will happen. You get good hardware, and if you want to give it up because one department of the corporation does a crappy ultrabook grade thermal job, then yes, you should get a desktop instead.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Edwad likes this.
  10. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it's best for people who had their 51m fried post not only the experience with how their 51m failed but also when they actually received their laptop. that way we can at least have an understanding if the failed laptops are from the earlier batches or if production has improved to mitigate those issues.

otherwise it will just be a one big scare and having a sense of doubt to everyone who follows this thread.

as much as i would like to agree such an expensive laptop should be working well out of the box, the real life fact is that nothing is made in such way now. if you want it as perfect as it can be, it's going to have to be do it yourself. no production line worker nor custom mod shops are going to cut it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    DreDre, jclausius, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.