*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, at least in my case, I have not taxed this system at all. Nor my last one. My first Area51m was never OC'd or manipulated in any way. Just went black on me while sitting idle for a couple of hours. After getting a replacement GPU, it was fine for about 5 days and then the MOBO itself simply died. No sign of life. This was, again, after little gaming and zero manipulations on my part. The only thing I had done at that point was to Undervolt to -100mv. That was the extent of me doing anything to it. After graciously receiving a replacement laptop due to Frank Azor's help, I again have not tampered with anything. No OC, no repasting, etc. It was just playing a game for about 2 minutes then froze up with weird artifacts and had to be hard rebooted. Since then, I have code 43 in device manager and green moving lines that strangely seem to be in columns on my screen (I've heard this could be due to incorrect refresh on monitor but as I have no working drivers, I can't change it). So, no OC, no messing with it.... second laptop, third problem in less than a month and a half of time with a laptop in my hands. So, it cannot just be people messing with their stuff. There is a serious issue going on with some of these systems. And either I have the absolute worst luck, or there is something bigger afoot.

Papusan, c69k and mason2smart like this.
  2. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well from experience my gt80 and gt83 were both built and designed to much higher standards than the 51m

Watch dell lower the GPU back to 180 watt and add 2666 support in the same update XD

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    DreDre and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand and I didnt mean to be so blunt but every time i read this thread we have another lot of people having to return their 51m's which sucks. Its no different then what used to go on in the alienware forums when we had replaceable parts and large threads. People have to realize though when a large group of people start taking advantage of something it will not last. If its not worth it for dell to keep pushing forward with their user replaceable desktop part laptops because to many people are destroying their pc's at dells expense they will no longer be doing any Research and Development essentially killing the line.
    Just a quick thought iv been having while reading this great thread. I wont bring it up again. Thanks

Papusan and S.K like this.
  4. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey all,
    I’ve unfortunately started to have issues with my 51m. I bought it a few months back but have only really started to use it extensively after selling my tower PC.

Today after playing a few hours of FFXIV my screen went black and stayed off. Both the external monitor and laptop monitor now every time I boot into windows the screen goes black after a few seconds. Sometimes even in the login screen. But I’m safe mode everything is fine. Which to me suggest an 2080 RTX hardware or Nvidia software issue? Can anyone shed some light on this. Is this a bad GPU?

I’m really annoyed:(

5. G46VW

Reputations:
    cant even go an entire page without one of these, sorry about your machine.

6. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this a known issue then? Is there a fix or do I call dell?

7. G46VW

Reputations:
    Most the people on this thread have replaced they 51m's on average 3 times so I am sure one of them would know. Sounds like your GPU went kaput tho.

What have you done in regard to modifications?

Papusan likes this.
  8. spikerules

spikerules Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Modifications? It what respect? I haven’t modified a thing hardware wise.

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That's the problem (or at least part of the problem). Where did you buy it from?

It's of no use really to discuss this here. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but I've been building systems in the past as a part time hobby + job and I saw plenty of people during that time that'd come with a dead laptop with a straight face and lie through their teeth about how innocent they were and how monstrous the manufacturer is who made a junk machine when in reality most of those damages were due to maltreatment and misuse + crappy thermal jobs applied by either them or their resellers. Even a friend of mine in Dell support told me that the management is really annoyed by the warranty claims of dead parts that were fried due to user error but hey, that's the world we live in. People put on a baby face to hide their mistake instead of owning up to it (although there are some genuine cases too, but majority are not genuine) because majority wannabe overclockers find it convenient to abuse their warranty instead of being honest about what they did (benched the hell out of it without upgrading thermal pads + paste, and sometimes inside a effing blanket) and owning up to their mistakes. And they could care less about a great product being discontinued. I am so annoyed at all this that I've actually stopped commenting about it here for quite a while now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    MogRules likes this.
  10. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not as much us. More that dell reneged on promises made and used shoddy quality parts. These laptops should be able to run intensive software and be pushed to their limits. After all its expected of a system of this caliber.