*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    how on earth did u hold 5.3 ghz? my cpu has low temps but won't stay stable past 5ghz and wont undervolt...

Attached the PDF I am printing and sending to Dell with my laptop for the RMA over the issue with the angled m.2 port in ssd slot 1. The PDF includes images and examples for anyone interested in taking a look.

Also includes images of the shattered threading in one of the speaker standoffs

Also, interestingly, the other standoff for the mini half sized m.2 ssds seems really low (too low to use) in the ssd #2 slot.
    Even holding it straight there's almost a 1cm gap...
    20190802_130320.jpg

RMA box Dell sent me only has two extremely thin bags for the power bricks and foam end-pieces for the laptop. The antiscratch bag was not included and the there is no other padding. The box may even be too large for the unit!
    Gonna ship what they sent me and let Dell know that I am assuming any damage from the loose power bricks or the foam will be covered by the repair center.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    S.K and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dont mean to sound rude but I dont get why people think this way. Most phones ship with over 3k resolution and many with 4k. To me a 17 inch screen is way large enough for 4k. Just look on youtube for 4k videos and see the difference between a 1080p video and a 4k video on any laptop, if you have a 4k panel.

The only argument to make about why laptops shouldnt be putting on 4k monitors is for the simple fact of cost to performance ratio from that of its desktop counterpart. You need the top of the line equipment to push 4k on a laptop an for significantly less money one can push that same 4k with a desktop.

Other wise many of us would love to have 4k OLED gaming monster panels with quick response times on are lappys. Of course OLED uses much more power if being used with a white background so it can inhibit the benefit of mobility.

But to each their own, I would say try using a 4k laptop next to a 1080p laptop, physically next to each of them and then if you say its not worth it then that would be your sound opinion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Kennypc1026 and mason2smart like this.
  3. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys !

Anyone got the 1 TB SSD from the original configuration and its Crystal benchmark ?
    I'd like to know how it performs vs a 970 Evo 1 TB.

Thanks

4. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe you should start putting a piece of paper into each Alienware or Dell laptop package telling customers to contact you first in case of issues since Dell does not treat you like authorized vendor. This should prevent misunderstanding like the person from Reddit is experiencing.

5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have. The pixel size to screen ratio is not great. 4k only really shines when you get up to 50” screens. Make a 17 1440p or 3k hdr screen and I’d be impressed. There is a reason the industry has shifted away from 4k laptop screens.... but yes In the end to each their own. It’s your money... buy what makes you happy

6. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, 1440p or 3k screens would make much more sense given the situation with TDP restraints. The area 51m is a great machine though I would like to see some other screen options.

7. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The industry has not shifted from 4k laptop screens. In fact, many modern laptops offer 15" 4k OLED display made by Samsung. It's a great display, only issue is that it has 60hz refresh rate, but if you play at native resolution - you will not go over 60 fps in games like Metro Exodus with max settings ;-) There is no 17" version available but I'm sure Samsung will make it too.

8. corona2172

corona2172 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, it would appear that I am having problems with an Area 51m all over again. My replacement Area 51m, which has worked flawlessly for the past month, now has issues. On my last one, first the GPU died, then the mobo..... On this one, I was playing X4 Foundations for about 2 minutes when the screen went crazy and froze. It restarted. But now the GPU was disabled. I reinstalled the drivers after using DDU, and now it does what it did on my last system: when enabled, screen goes black and pc restarts. However, there is a new development this time...... Now, there are moving green matrix lines on the screen from the moment the alienware logo comes on and stays there. But generally only in dark areas of the screen. Black, grey or dark blues for example. They also move when the cursor moves over them. So yeah..... I dunno what is up at this point. I suppose I will take it apart and check the connections, but the whole "Black screen when 2080 is enabled" makes me think I have another dead GPU. No idea what the revision number was on this replacement, but I was on the 1.0.0.5 vbios..... What a headache.

9. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Did you repaste / repad at all?
    Did you get the warranty replacement system directly from Dell?
    So thoughts being traded around by some people is that the ribbon cables are the weak link. No hard evidence to support this, just some hunches.
    I sent you a PM.

mason2smart likes this.
  10. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there a reason why u didnt go for longer warranty period given the failure rate we've seen on those 2080 cards?