*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The main problem... Big companies sell a lot of different configurations of machines. They will always go fo what will benefit themselves. If they buy in millions of one specific psu which can be used all over (many models) then why should they spend more money than necessary? Validation of specs + less amount machines sold will cost them too much. Everything is about lowering cost as much as possible. One size fits all is a disgusting idea.

2. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Im looking to buy the Area 51 and was just n the site. Theyre offering 10% off the i9-9900 with the RTX 2080. So its $3723 down from $4149.

Now, I was planning on the i9-9900 with the RTX 2070 but that ends up being $3600. So for the extra $100+ I can get the 2080. Is it worth the upgrade to the 2080? Are there any benefits of staying with the 2070? (Especially any thermal issues with the 2080?)

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Get the RTX 2080. It's a no brainer for a 100 bucks

Vasudev, S.K, Darkhan and 2 others like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Did you actually use a soldering iron alone without solder flux and hot air gun? That reworked area looks AWFUL and seems like you didn't give it an ultrasonic cleaning afterwards either. I'd say, take those apart again and solder them using a hot air gun (especially the chip below 7506). That will give you a lot neater and more durable joints. This could fall apart on it's own in the near future.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    My point is about the adapter. On Clevo you have to use a 2 to 1 adapter. I prefer AW implementation on having it internal.
    Yes, THIS is one of the reasons we are stuck with a 330w ac adapter. It has to do with airline limitations. It's also the reason 99Whr batteries are the highest capacity.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. lostclusters

lostclusters Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Those stick on heat sinks are really small. You must intend to use multiple sinks per location, yes? And they seem a little light duty for that thunderbolt chip.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  7. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, too bad that even airlines do limit you about a laptop PSU...

One MOSFET and the controller were badly burned, I did a picture in the middle of the process of how bad it was. I used hot air gun with a good soldering flux, and repaired the burned tracks, especially that darker place under the MOSFET is actually repaired with this green PCB mask varnish if this is what you mean by "reworked area looks AWFUL"
    upload_2019-8-2_8-45-11.png

I cleaned it very well manually, I don't have a ultrasonic thing. And no, it can't fell apart, laptop works several weeks with no issues, using 2666mhz RAMs, intending to flash these with XMP profile settings as default ones.

electrosoft and S.K like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    They are exactly the same size as the mosfets and the TB chip. You can use one per chip as it covers it entirely. And, they are better than plain ambient air cooling (more metal with fins to dissipate heat is always better).

Good to know that. The pictures were ordered without labelling so it was difficult to guess what's what. How hot are they running now? I'd suggest using these tiny heat sinks on all of the power components and any other chip susceptible to getting heated up just to ensure more overall longevity.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    http://www.surfacemountprocess.com/reflow-soldering-process.html

Vasudev and IllusiveMan like this.
  10. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's hard to measure real temps on each MOSFET and controller on the board especially when it's on top (under keyboard).

Never seen such tiny heatsinks, but anyway these are almost twice bigger than the SMDs.

I will try to measure it today with a laser thermometer, my new battery arrived so it will be a good moment to see the temps.
    This part of the board gets very hot for some reason, maybe because the audio chip is under stress always, no sound is played at the output but speakers have a constant vibration of ~10Hz (and this is several watts), and I do not understand why it does not cut off power at the output speakers amp when no playback sound... driver or bad BIOS firmware or both?

S.K likes this.