*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Hits1

Hits1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Team, few months-long lurker here also OG Alienware dude, as I purchased one after working a telemarketing sales job all summer my Junior year of high school almost 20 years ago!

Just got the new Area 51M and been absolutely loving it. Like absolutely loved this thing.

Took it out in a few meetings and no one even wanted to talk about anything else for a good 10-15 minutes, it truly looks like the Lambo of laptops. Awesome right well it just died on me lol... Jesus Christ.

I’m getting 1 blue light blinking, followed by 2 red lights... got on the phone with an overly confident Indian man whose sole advice was basically holding the power button down (didn’t do anything).

I did find out because I’m a ‘Commercial Customer’ supposedly I can get next business day tech support on-site.

My real question is... should I return this sucker (less than 30 days) and go back to my sad but dependable Macbook Pro life or is it worth it to go thru the crap I’ve read some of you guys have had to sadly go thru???? The gentleman on the phone said it’s likely the CPU, I got the 9700K with the 2080 and barely used it.

Ironically I hadn’t turned it on for 2 days prior to this happening so not sure how it even happened.

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    This paste is VERY thick and any other method except spread will give you trouble. Talking from experience here.
    You should return it and get a new machine. Usually they ship the new one first before picking up the old unit so you should have plenty of time to play around with both of them and cherry-pick the parts from both to your liking and make one solid behemoth out of it before returning it. I'd wait for the new system, compare motherboards, CPUs and GPUs (depends upon what died) and retain the best possible specs + the more perfect screen out of the two. ;)
    P.S., the weakest part of this laptop are the 2 ribbon connectors that connect DGFF gpu board to the motherboard. They have REALLY tiny and fragile pins and if you are not careful with it, you might end up with something that you experienced and some other annoyances like GPU running in lower than x8 PCIe configuration with reduced performance. So, pay attention when opening and closing those connectors. They should not rub against anything and there shouldn't be a single dirt particle / hair where they are about to be fastened to. I wish Dell revises this connector with a better version in the next iteration of this machine (something similar to what we have on the audio daughter board that connects it to the motherboard).

VoodooChild and chewbakaats58 like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know, thanks!

I called my local Dell about ordering one heatsink (the screw I can basically get anywhere) and they said they couldn't sell it to me, but they could send one for free. Heh. How about that? ;-)

lostclusters, S.K and c69k like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

5. aeriesiii

aeriesiii Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!

S.K likes this.
  6. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you downgrade back to 1.5.0 by simply running the exe?

7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's a simple downgrade.

Make sure you go to the BIOS after the downgrade and disable "UEFI firmware upgrade" setting, it'll prevent automatic BIOS upgrade through Windows 10 updates.
    I would also disable that feature through ShutUP 10 just to be extra cautious.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

XxAcidSnowxX and S.K like this.
  8. alvajohnson

alvajohnson Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered a 9700k/2070 on the 13th which was due to arrive today but it's been delayed a week and a day. Is it worth contacting Dell about delays? I'm getting worried they might delay further or cancel after reading earlier in this thread and I'm moving country soon. So might just try to buy something else like an Aero or a Blade from a reseller

9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, no problems with this. On a side note, are there any key combo to enter the UEFI bios directly from boot, or do I have go through Win10?

10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tap f12 continually when you turn it on.