*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jontoad

Jontoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you aren't the only one. my ACC is doing the same memory issue in task manager when i open the fusion tab. i only noticed it after you mentioned it a day or two ago.

FXi, QUICKSORT and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. Tim V.

Tim V. Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Had my system since the 1st week in June and it's running great. Good cpu temps w/ a -0.090 voltage offset, good gpu temps (but then I ordered the 2060 - so guess that is different than most of you here). I have no complaints about the machine. However, Dells software is another story, but I can deal w/ that. Peace...

FXi, hmscott and VoodooChild like this.
  3. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh well, minor issue - but still!

Then I won't be able to change fan profile!

Go with bios 1.5.0 (or 1.3.2 if you want to go the recovery route) and vbios v1.0.0.3 for best performance. The "safest" combo should be bios 1.6.2 and vbios 1.0.0.5. Don't forget to disable "
    UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates" in the bios.

4. yaboul

yaboul Newbie

Reputations:
    To be honest Muyfa666 I find the fan profiles to be a bit useless as i've tried with and without. Sure it's nice to customise what level of fan you want depending on games however i've noticed that by default system is totally silent while on desktop but adapts the fan speed really well by itself in games.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here we go... Area-51m DGFF card blew out
    There will always come up posts with info that can balance out all the incorrect information that we know is posted in threads like this one, as well silmilar (Remember there is people out there who need the proper info about the products before they by it - Not all of them posts in forum or know where they can get all info - they need to know the + and -).

This time up again because as you have seen in later posts, some repeatedly put the blame for the smoking mess on the users such as (Noobs newbies who don't know what they are doing or enthusiasts who squeeze out hardware so it will fail), failed Liquid LM jobs in hundreds who is to blame etc and not on the products itself who need band aid fix like awful firmware updates to reduce the risk for more burning episodes. It's called balancing acts. This for the best for possible coming owners or those who already own the products.

Edit.
    Nothing is worse receive totally wrong or even planned incorrect info as only source. I know because I see it everyday and everywhere + this ain't nice. I as many others try each day be on top provide the very best info you is able to get out there. To the best for all. If some of the info ain't for you it can still be the best for some others.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    raz8020, luciela, Mr. Fox and 6 others like this.
  6. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 51m I had before wouldn’t go over 75c for the gpu and 70 highest one the cpu

Compared to the system I have now it hits 86 on gpu and 90+ on cpu at times.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Ah, gotcha...
    I would not suggest its an enthusiast causing the smoke either. Many of us are putting a decent strain on the systems and running them daily. Pretty much trying to see how much they handle without burning. We are not running them in a un-natural way with the intent to make them burn. However, we are putting them through the ringer in a normal enthusiast way to see if our normal enthusiast ways are going to make them burn. Nothing yet.

Regarding the thread etc...
    It would be better for newbies to have thread dedicated to your criticisms or info on flaws etc. Matter of fact each flaw or issue should have its own thread that way its easier for potential buyers to find.
    That way the discussions remain focused and on topic, rather than all over the place like this thread, resulting in a diluted thread that is not even serving its purpose.
    That's how it used to be on most previous systems even going back years. If a system had a throttling problem, someone made a thread. If a system had a issue with the LCD (that was a production issue), people made a thread. That way they can read all about the criticisms, flaws, or whatever you want, in one easy to find place. This thread is so big that people have to keep re-posting some evidence of your criticisms to actually read them. Many newbies are not reading 1300+ pages of posts and surely will be missing info unless someone comes along and links to a previous page.

Aside from this being beneficial to your cause to spread knowledge, the thread that is suppose to be for owners to "lounge", can be less disturbed.
    Again, the intention of this thread to be for people to discuss systems they own with other people that own the same systems. No, that does not mean that potential buyers shouldn't come here to ask owners questions. However, having all topics of the system good bad or indifferent contained in one thread is not productive or organized. The same reason I suggested SK post his repad guide and BIOS downgrade guide in its own thread. They were difficult for newbies to find and also were missing out on Google doing proper SEO.

I cannot see how anyone should have a problem with this suggestion. I'm encouraging you all to make threads about flaws and criticisms.
    Not in anyway suggesting that these issues be downplayed or censored etc.

8. MRican

MRican Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay guys please help...all i care for is some fan control, all i ask for. And stupid windows update after realtek update i lost alienware command center (in terms of not working now and just freezes when i open AWCC)

I did follow their goofy tutorial of uninstalling AWCC properly on their Alienware Support page on YT and then going to microsoft store to download AWCC..but still can't get fan control, fusion audio profiles anymore etc...

did someone find an alternative to get AWCC to work, need a method to install AWCC por favor!

Thanks,
    MRican

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You need it to switch fan profiles.

10. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hear a few of you saying lately that your early-adopted (initial batch pre-revision) system (now possibly re-padded) has been running strong for months now without issue: if you're reading this & feel so sure your system shipped with no suspect components (no ticking time-bomb onboard), which of you is brave enough to flash your system (or someone you know) with the original January Bios (1.0.1 | 1.2) and vBios (1.0.0.0 | 1.0.0.1 | 1.0.0.2), run them for a month or more & report back? 'Running strong for months now' while on the newer 'safer' firmware (specifically released to address any more burn issues) doesn't sound like evidence of anything other than you're running strong on the newer safer firmware ... ... ...

The best advice is/was to avoid the old firmware like the plague ... Alienware wants u off the old GPU firmware as well, that's why they yanked it off the FTP server June 26 & they wanted new owners off the 'old' hardware as well given they revised the mthrbrd & DGFF (precautionary or otherwise), went so far as to yank 2080s off the sales menu til the board revision took place, perhaps delayed shipments til new mthrbrds could go in (I'm happy to be better informed over the delay specifics - the why of it all - a few months ago). Pattern's clear to me that they found a root cause & addressed it; FAzor was asked if it was a thermal-pad issue - was asked twice for an update on this, but suddenly transparency went out the window moments after he made this tweet about being transparent, I dig the irony of it actually: "Once we know definitively we will communicate as such. We are pretty straightforward and transparent if you haven't already noticed"
    (Someone should ask Frank to pwn up to that tweet of his)

Otherwise, if your early-adopted system is no longer on the day-one month-one firmware, it's pointless to state your system is fine on the newer firmware; chances are, you're consciously purposely proactively on the newer firmware to avoid any problems; last but not least, chances are that any systems that remain in the field that will burn up (whether few or many) will be 1st batch Wave 1 systems still on the old firmware (for whatever reason); patched &/or revised systems (factory or owner-initiated) should 'run strong', for reasons the Aliens have already addressed & 'fixed' ... ... ...

edit @S.K (new reply)
    Consider: I can't find the tweet - but - Azor was sooooo confident of his hardware that he essentially gave DGFF a life-time warranty right there on Twitter --> why??? < -- 'if your DGFF experiences the exact 'root cause' while out of warranty & fails (burns) we'll replace it' ... so there is & was a root cause ... it can NEVER be the case that the DGFF burned up due to an enthusiast's (improper) pad install & get a lifetime warranty from that guy - no way - the 2080 card lists for $2300 each --> only a factory flaw that they knew about, shipped out, could get that kind of guarantee. Fazor would never hand-out & honor life-time warranties on $2300 cards where root cause = user error

(See edit below): To truly put your system through the ringer, fall back on the old firmware if u dare --> if your system burns they'll replace it with one that doesn't ... ... ...

*edit to new reply
    : 'To flash a old FW in a perfectly working system seem very stupid IMO, so I know I won't try it at least' ... I don't expect you or anyone else to 'try it at least'; I posted here knowing exactly zero early adopters would literally accept a challenge to move back to the old FW found below. It's a thought experiment, of course it is, that's all it is ... the need for me to even point this out in an edit seems itself stupid & honestly puzzling

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    raz8020, jclausius, Wiz bit and 3 others like this.