*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guys, here are the scores that I get. are they average or at the upper limit?
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37210868?
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37211397?

finally, I managed to make it completely stable after a lot of torture tests with vray rendering, cinebench and prime95 with -100 unvervolting on cpu (all cores at x48) and undervolting the gpu at 968.
    Cpu temperatures hovering around 91-92c (hottest core) while in full load and 73-74 on GPU. Both have LM conductonaut applied as I mentioned earlier. Anyone here who has done a successful delid and got better temps?

2. mdw211

mdw211 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you got a bluetooth device (e.g. mouse) connected? The bluetooth controller is itself a USB device, and windows just records the last wake source as 'USB Controller' for anything connected via USB without any further details. You can more easily check which devices are connected to the USB controller by sorting devices by connection in Device Manager as shown below:

devmgr.png

In theory you can then prevent wake up by changing the properties in the power management tab for each device and unchecking "Allow this device to wake the computer" (however this doesn't work for my bluetooth mouse and it wakes the computer anyway, it would be interesting to know if this solves it for you, assuming it is a mouse of course).

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks will give it a go when I'm back home

My bluetooth is enabled, but I don't think I have any device connected. I will try and see if there is anything, when I'm back home. Thanks

4. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all, please help if you can. I'm getting ridiculous framerate slowdowns in Overwatch (probably other games as well) shortly after each match starts. I have everything set to ULTRA, but my understanding is that my 9900K + 2080 should be able to handle that—is that wrong? I can go through and change the game settings to see if that has any effect, but I'd like to know first if this is a hardware/driver problem.

Pasting a couple MSI Afterburner images (taken in quick succession in the game) Overwatch_2019_07_01_10_32_31_570.jpg Overwatch_2019_07_01_10_32_47_556.jpg here in case that helps diagnose; please let me know if there's other info I can show/provide.

I did some more research, and it might have been the render scaling option in the game. Mine was set to 200% for some reason—not really sure what that does, but setting it to 100% seems to have fixed the issue at least for Overwatch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2019
    Alexon likes this.
  5. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You need to downgrade your bios to 1.5.0 or less.

DreDre and Darkhan like this.
  6. sazistas

sazistas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this is the classic throttling issue because your gpu exceeds 75C. by selecting 200% scaling you force the gpu to work harder and with lower framerate than your v-sync limit (if its enabled), so the temp rises more. I also had the same problem before repasting and I downgraded the bios to 1.5.0. Now its rock stable without any drops.

7. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Apologies. I meant to say that downgrading to System BIOS v1.3.2 and VBIOS v1.0.0.3 200W with this guide fixes any silly GPU throttling issues. Also be sure to disable the UEFI BIOS Capsule Updates feature in the BIOS Menu, otherwise Dell will automatically update the system bios to crappy v1.5.4 upon bootup.

After installing those two firmwares above. GPU clock speed should stick and not downclock to a great degree regardless of which temperature it has reached.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This wasn’t the case for me in this situation. I was getting slowdowns immediately upon starting a game, and the temp was well below 75. The problem was that I had a render upscaling option set to 200% instead of 100. No idea why that was a default setting for ULTRA, but making that change put me back to 150+ FPS through multiple matches.

hmscott likes this.
  9. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe Geforce experience did so

_deadbydawn_ likes this.
  10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So it looks like AW's only solution is severely throttle the card at a low temp to keep the mosfets from burning up instead of properly padding them to the rear bracket for cooling?

Doesn't seem to bother the 2070's?

Darkhan and hmscott like this.