*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sawtoothwav

Sawtoothwav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just purchased Panasonic pads, should I have purchased gelid?

2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This!

Everyone has to read this!

People in this thread are making it seem like a High End Super Expensive thermal pad and a fortune costing Thermal Paste is a MUST if you want this run this system perfectly. That's absolutely non sense and very misleading to the uninitiated.

Yes, they make a difference, may be about 5C in some odd cases, but not so much you have to spend $300 plus on them and change the "entire process" regularly for it to be optimal. That's ludicrous! One can use a cheap ass MX4 and Ebay thermal pads and easily get max temps of 75-80C on both the CPU and the GPU and there's no need to change them may be for a year. My last repaste on my M17xR3 was over a year ago and the temps are still consistent. I just clean the fans and the vents very 3-4 months. Thats it!

I've used a fujipoly + Conductanaut pasted delidded 9700K and 2080 and I've also used MX4 + Arctic thermal pads on the same machine and the difference between them was negligible! I will not repaste my new incoming laptop from Dell right away unless its absolutely necessary and even if I do so, I'll use my left over MX4 and Arctic pads. Not all of us have money to burn after all!

In both cases, users will have to undervolt the CPU and the GPU anyway and this is a MUST and best of all, its FREE!

Some users here are trying to run this laptop on balanced fan mode so may be they're spending so much on "so called thermal upgrades" but from my own relentless 7 day 24 hour a day non stop usage, I found out that Performance fan mode is perfectly acceptable. It is nothing more than a mild hum. In fact, as I don't have a Area 51m now and went back to my M17xR3 since a few days, I've found that how quite the Area 51m really is. My wife even noticed this and told me her observation as I was gaming this evening.

If you fall down this rabbit hole of opening up the system every 2 days and repasting for that extra 1C change, you'll computer will be more OFF then ON and you'll not game whosoever, you'll just observe the temps in game and monitor the fps.

Guess how I know this.... been there done that too many times on my old mxm based systems... for over 10 years in fact...

Just my 2 cents on this matter.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

It was dreadful man. Those MOSFETS were naked... LM was floating around my GPU.. it was sad to see really...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2019
    DreDre, Xatanú, _deadbydawn_ and 5 others like this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Greatly appreciated. :vbthumbsup:

hmscott and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt is from jan 2019.....got really excited to fix my thunder display issue.

Assuming you are using the ones here?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...t/product/alienware-17-area51m-laptop/drivers

Your TB driver is newer than the one on AW site, where'd you get it? I'll try it out in a bit

On a random side note...just saw your IG button so decided to click. Didn't expect you to actually hold your user name to life LOL

Also I see you are a fellow mustang member. :p I got a 2016 Mustang GT California Special Ruby Red. Fun cars.

6. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The best thermal paste we could get on the market is the Thermalright TFX, which shows 3c down compared to the MX4 and Kryonaut while benchmarking, you could give that a try.

S.K likes this.
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Where I got the drivers from I cannot disclose. They are from Dell as you see from the installer, just not the ones the public drivers clown team keep re-posting. @Papusan

Yes that's me bro and yes I am a muscle car lover. Shelby first then ZL1, those are my 2 dream cars. Shelby because it has the best stock exhaust on the planet and ZL1 because it's the fastest from 0-60 from the muscle cars that I like that is.

raz8020, hmscott, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.
  8. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I verified that Dell lists the replacement cost for RTX 2080 at $2,325 / US (~same cost as two desktop 2080Ti or three 2080s) :eek:
    [​IMG]
    2080/70 owners w/basic 1year warranty should keep this in mind (edit: & consider extending your warranty, possibly for several years); 2060/2070 owners would do well to chat at Dell to inquire the cost of those cards (my guess is 2070 will list at ~$1650, 2060 at $775). I'm aware the 2080 price as a stand-alone spare part may be subject to change & may cost the same / more / less when the 'upgrade exchange program' as a service begins (ex. upgrade 2070 to 2080 through Dell), time will tell

off-topic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Ashtrix, Xatanú, Joikansai and 4 others like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here is more from the Clowns!
    [​IMG]
    Yeah. And the same happened once again. I say it one more time... Don*t Install Bloatware or so called <recommended or whatever> software from the ODM manufacturers in any form or shape.

Dell Discovers Yet Another SupportAssist Security Flaw.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-and-incidents.816109/page-23#post-10925271
    Read my post about buying second hand graphics here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1160#post-10914447

Also... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1160#post-10914443

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1150#post-10914001

Ashtrix, Joikansai, raz8020 and 3 others like this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    @ssj92 please report back if the new Thunderbolt Drivers solved your issue.

Darkhan and hmscott like this.