*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Say no more! This will be my new backup solution :)

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thought I fixed it before, but it occurred again. Now I think I actually found out what was causing the issue. The wireless xbox one controller adapter that I was using for whatever reason started being seen as an ethernet adapter (I've used it since I got the laptop in March without issue). It started showing as Ethernet2 in my network choices. After doing some google searching, it seems like some people have this problem and it causes issues with their primary Ethernet port constantly being kicked off for the xbox adapter. Still no fix from Microsoft. Luckily I have a newer controller and was able to pair it with my 51m via bluetooth, so I'm no longer using the adapter and have had no further issues.

EDIT: I lied... of course right after posting this the issue occurred again. I've decided that its most likely hardware related and I'll reach out to support. I keep getting this error now, "An Ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or might be broken".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  3. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know are we able to freely switch between the 200w and 180w vbios? I'm on 200w, but I'm tempted to test 180w, but don't want to get stuck on it...

hmscott likes this.
  4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I know there have been a couple of people that went to the 180W bios and then back to the 200W. There is no restriction AFAIK.

5. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I completed the 180w vbios, I didn't do any benches, but I can honestly say I'm not noticing much difference in gaming. Assassin's Creed Odyssey runs at about the same 60-79 fps, temps maybe 1-2 degrees cooler...

hmscott likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Just 6? 6 Doubled. The 8-phase voltage regulation for graphics in the thin Alienwares is single phases. And please don't listen too much on fancy words from an salesman or any sales department:) And First to market... Reminds me very much about what I try to avoid... Guinea pig versions.

Probably a new soon Dead walking graphics in the Area...
    Alienware area 51m laptop black screen during windows setup and now can’t boot for more then a minute without the black screen

raz8020, Ashtrix, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  7. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i9 9900, delid + Copper IHS; stock clocks + UV; thermal paste is ICD; Ambient 24 degree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

raz8020, Terreos, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  8. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Here's the 190W VBIOS in a package with a batch file to make it easier to flash.
    I got 3 samples from various systems and compared them to be sure of their integrity.
    I also flashed and tested it.

Area-51m BIOS / VBIOS Collection (mirrors)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Lopt, HookemAZ, Sunnydora and 7 others like this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    IIRC, 6 phases with doublers is 12 phases, but the PWM frequency is halved by using doublers, which is a drawback. Doublers are used because until very recently, no VRM controllers could handle more than 8 phases, so this is circumvented by using 6 phases with a doubler circuit and two power stages to make them 12 phases. If the VRM could actually handle 12 phases without doublers, then the 6 doubled phase setup would be inferior to 12 non doubled phases since the VRM frequency would be twice as fast--lower ripple and less noise.

Some of the brand new X499(?) Ryzen 3000 boards now use a brand new VRM controller that can handle 12 phases without doublers. Complete overkill but forward is better, always.

I'm not touching the argument of whether 6 phases with doublers (thus 12 phases total) are better than 8 phases without doublers (for boards with VRM controllers that can only address up to 8 phases).

raz8020, Papusan, VoodooChild and 3 others like this.
  10. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male

Could you fix the link for the 51m drivers ZIP file please.