*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I've stayed away from sli setups for years now. You just pay so much more for a chance to have better performance. Even back when I was using an sli desktop it seemed to be a real gamble if a developer properly optimized sli. So I just went with the most powerful card I can afford and call it a day. That being said I'm sceptical about the performance on the area 51m. Based on firestrike scores it should be slightly better. I'm coming from 1080ti with a 5820k. So the Area 51m scores I've seen are slightly ahead. Mostly thanks to the strong CPU. So I'll be curious to see how it does once I play games on it.

The Lunar white color was one of the selling points for me. First video I saw it I was hooked. And dell has that resistant white material on the xps 13. You can wipe off permanent marker. So long as they use something similar it shoild be good. But of course I'd let anyone know if I run into staining down the road.

Unlikely. Even the older 17 r5 and 15 r4 didn't have optimus from what I've read. So I don't see them doing so for this laptop either. You'll get roughly 2hrs of light use based on some reviews of a similarly speced clevo laptop. So make sure you're near a plug. ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    mason2smart likes this.
  2. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would imagine so. The usb type C can be used as video connection and it uses the Intel GPU.

3. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all! I just finished reading through all 122 pages and have a few questions. I’m coming from a Dell XPS 8300 with an i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 1333, and Radeon 7970. My desktop has served me well, but with all the traveling I’m doing, I feel like a nice laptop would be more useful than replacing the desktop. I currently fly all over the place and bring my Xbox One X with me, which isn’t fun, especially at smaller airports that still require me to empty my backpack even though I have Pre-TSA. Overall, haven’t been too impressed with the benchmarks of the 2080 compared to the 1080, but coming from my system, it’ll still be a HUGE upgrade.

The build I’m currently set on is the i7-9700K, 2080, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, and the 144 hz g-sync screen. I don’t think this has been brought up yet, but I may have missed it when I started skimming through multiple pages of OLED burn in and how to be the #1 over-clocker in the world.

1. I’m just getting the 1 TB HD and plan on putting my own SSD in it once it arrives. Has anyone noticed from the tear-down videos if the brackets are already in there to mount the extra SSDs, or is that something we need to buy?
    2. This is more of an opinion, but it seems like for $50 more, going with a g-sync monitor is the way to go. I’ll admit, I’ve never owned or seen a g-sync monitor, but from what I’ve read/watched online, it can make a big difference once you play games that start lowering the FPS quite a bit, is that right?
    3. Hadn’t really thought about it until it was just brought up, but is there a material difference between the black and white for the $50 difference? Not quite sure which one I like better yet, but I’m leaning towards white. If there was a material/finish difference then that would make the decision easier.
    4. Seems like the consensus is to extend the warranty through dell, would that be better than getting a squaretrade warranty?

Can’t wait for the benchmarks from actual users in this forum, I’m trying my hardest to hold off ordering until I start seeing them. I’m getting impatient though, I keep building the system on dell.com multiple times a day, even though nothing has changed...

c69k and mason2smart like this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It will run fine at full power from one 330W adapter for that config. Should not consume more than 330W with RTX2070 config

Confirmation it works normally with 1 power adapter (page 5)
    https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-17-area51m-laptop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf

raz8020 and FrozenSolid like this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd be concerned with the White "soft touch" finish turning yellow / darkening with use from your palms. And the outside attracting dark marks from casual use. The dark grey / gunmetal color will hide marks very well and should not discolor. (a consideration from someone on the move; where TSA may not care of scuffing against a zipper)

6. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That is an excellent point, thank you so much! I used to have an HP Elitebook for work that had that “soft touch” light gray finish and after a few months it did have a lot of yellow stains from my sweaty palms carrying it to all my meetings. Tried hard to scrub it out since it was kind of embarrassing, but no luck. Thanks again!

7. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know how you use your laptop but I know mine gets pretty grubby around the keys and that put me off the white. I'd spend more time polishing my laptop than playing with it.

8. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only drawback regarding the in-built G-Sync monitors is they will not work with an Alienware Graphics Amp in case you were thinking of one later on, say after a couple of years when the 2080 is starting to show its age.

This is just my opinion but I am not 100% convinced that the high end graphics, like you are planning, will suffer from screen tear. I can honestly say I have never noticed it in all my years of playing games but maybe others have. Maybe it is of some value where the graphics level is set too high for the capability of the card but ...... As I said earlier that is just my opinion but I am sure there are other more knowledgeable people on this forum.

9. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Actually had a friend with an Alienware 13 OLED who swore by it and said burn-in was a non-issue. Next thing I know, its off to the service dept. w/ severe burn-in issues. Is definitely a problem. Having owned OLED/AMOLED phones though, I don't think it is as much an issue as one might believe. You just have to take the right precautions... For one thing, you should ensure you have an active screen saver or the screen times out and you shouldn't have a huge issue.

Honestly, most (if not all) of the oled screens are also glossy, which I'm not a huge fan of anyways. Glossy screens are good for showroom floors but are highly impractical for day-to-day use. For example, when trying to write on my SB (off topic, i know...) it often reflects any lights that are directly above or around it, making it difficult to see stuff on the screen.

There are Pros & Cons to g-sync. TBH it is honestly a bit overhyped. You may want to read up on it more.

Same question on the material differences of the 2 color options.

You should check out Micro Center's warranty. Haven't had to used mine yet but its terms are really really good. I believe if they can't fix, then you get in store credit equiv. to the original value of the unit.

10. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting, that actually was my plan if the next gen cards weren’t able to fit into the 51m. Do you mean that the screen on the laptop won’t work with the AGA, or that even an external monitor wouldn’t work since the laptop has a g-sync screen? With the AGA I would be using an external monitor.

mason2smart likes this.