*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In hwinfo in sensors tab under cpu there's a bunch of W entries and the GPU has one too, adding should do the trick.

upload_2019-6-1_0-59-50.png

actually, sorry, I just realized that was not what you asked, I don't know if any of those software tracks the PSU maximum power.

I didn't do any huge tests but my first off the ear impression is that temps and GPU load have gone a tad higher, not monumental, but I wasn't passing 80% load in 100fps capped CODBO4 now I got 90% now and then. Metro Exodus seems to have taken a bigger toll, went down from stable capped 74fps to 60-ish and close to 100% load. I'm trying to get back the 200W one and note down values.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
    Xatanú likes this.
  2. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, that's right. I'm looking for the power intake for the connected psu's. For the moment I have only found that information in BIOS, but it would be nice to have that info also in windows applications.

That's not good, if a vbios intended to lower the temps actually does the opposite increasing them... Hope you are able to flash the 200w again after you finish your tests. Thanks for the information

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Those performance limit reasons are symptomatic of one (or both) of the following conditions:
    • cancer firmware
    • user error in applying faulty BIOS settings
    The only hope there is when BIOS settings are hidden is that a third-party utility like ThrottleStop or XTU can override the cancer. If they cannot, the product will be prema-broken. If the cancer has metastasized and is embedded in the EC, the opportunity for redemption is more or less non-existent. Even if the BIOS settings are exposed through firmware mods, it is usually not sufficient to correct or compensate for the cancer code that has infected the EC. Brother @Falkentyne struggled with this sort of idiocy in his venture into MSI EC cancer hell, and even @Prema magic wasn't strong enough to completely eradicate it with the EVOC 16L-G-1080 / MSI 16L13 / Eurocom Tornado F5. The greatest hardware on the planet is worthless with borked firmware. Unfortunately, most firmware in laptop land is broken beyond repair. Some worse than others.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So it looks like the new TIM helped.
    Playing Division 2 (Performance Fans)
    GPU is maxing out now at 68c with voltage at .906. Much better than the 75c before. Not sure if I should bother trying lower on undervolt.
    CPU is maxing out at 85c with averages in the mid 70's. Much better than the max being 91c before.

raz8020, Xatanú, VoodooChild and 4 others like this.
  5. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty decent temps now!

May as well see how far you can undervolt.

6. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What application method did you end up using dor the TIM?

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Is that with the Phobya Nanogrease Extreme you bought from performance-pcs.com the other day?

8. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I might give this TIM a shot. It has a higher W/mk than Kryonaut, which is what I'm currently using. I've heard the consistency is good too.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    My tubes are on the way, I have Conductonaut in the drawer but I'm holding off installing it until I get the Phobya stuff so I can apply the Nano grease to the GPU and Conductonaut on the CPU. Don't wanna open the laptop up twice you know.

raz8020, Xatanú, Arrrrbol and 2 others like this.
  10. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Reposting this for clarification, so that as many Area-51 owners as possible know to not update to the newly released 1.5.4 System BIOS. Avoid it at all costs. Same goes for the newly released VBIOS for the RTX 2080. Got a feeling Dell screwed up with that one too. We must patiently wait for the fixed versions, which should come pretty soon hopefully.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019