*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

We were comparing apples and oranges and you've gone and chucked a pear in to the mix! :p

You are saying the stock (desktop!!!) cooler from that review appears insufficient for the 8700 chip - as it draws more power and creates more heat to dissipate than the TDP Intel claim and the cooler cant cope with it, yet I should go ahead and plump for the even more power hungry unlocked version of the chip in a LAPTOP? How's that work fella?

So I put a more powerful CPU requiring more cooling in the laptop I'm better off if heats an issue - no I'm happy with my spec choices after having exactly the same issue with an XPS 9570. I returned as it couldn't cool itself properly even after a repaste and undervolt and extra thermal pads, (among other issues) and I am not making the same mistake again. It's not about how powerful or how fast it is, for any bragging rights, it has to be stable, reliable and quiet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not what I am trying to say at all. Just referencing my source for the copy paste. Dont bother reading the article

What I am saying, and wrote above, i7-8700 non K CPU will draw much more power than 65W TDP that intel states. And the power draw will be similar to the i7-9700K operating under turbo boost.

c69k, Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.
  4. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It can, for a relatively short duration, but that power draw and the TB clocks are not part of the TDP equation. The TDP basically represents the power draw that can be sustained indefinitely.

@Woodking

Tu put it in another way, if you put the same load on 8700 and 8700k and both have the same voltage in that load, then they will draw the same amount of power at the same frequency.

You are basically saying the same thing as I am, but with different examples/reference systems.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Yes! Yes!
    And what I was trying to expand upon is that the unlocked CPU can actully lower the power draw by playing with the power settings. Therefore making it cooler at the same frequencies. (Despite Intel's 65W vs 95W stated TDPs)
    @Woodking
    Sorry, I am not good at explaining things

6. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Already understood, I don't trust those Intel guys claims after previous experience!

Moving on from that point I also dont believe the newer chips will be any/much better, regarding heat production. They maybe slightly more efficient - processing wise - being younger 'tweaked' tech possibly, but then with higher frequencies and being unlocked they must require more power to run hence the higher TDP and heat sink spec?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    ThatOldGuy likes this.
  7. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine was shipped today to Europe (Germany). Core i9 9900K and RTX2080.

c69k likes this.
  8. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For comparison , here are benchmarks from my P775 2080 :

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rei Fukai, c69k, mason2smart and 3 others like this.
  9. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CPU is at 4.8ghz with a -120 undervolt and temps are around 80 to 87C tops while playing BF5 and BO4. If you want to stay under 80C I need to drop to 4.6ghz with a -160mv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rei Fukai, c69k, Vistar Shook and 4 others like this.