*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    One thing for sure... If you went with the shorter 1 years warranty (spent all your money on the laptop) you're on your own afterwards!

Law in Europe is what's count. Dell's shortest warranty period (1 year) will come second. But you won't get Dell's help when the warranty is expired. You'll have to follow the warranty rules for your own country.
    Yeah, within the warranty period.

But be damn careful if you buy spare parts to upgrade (cheapest way)... etc used Graphics on the web.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    raz8020, FXi, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no way someone should buy used gfx card/motherboard for this system. I plan to use mine until the next iteration comes out, use the warranty and get a system swap. Hopefully, they'll have figured out what the issue is until that time.

It'll interesting to see what happens to the "new" batches which is supposed to ship out in June. If those crap out too, then we're in a rollercoaster for a long long time and I do not like the thought of that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

raz8020, Vasudev, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    From what I have read from your post... You will have this laptop several years. I expect you will prolong the warranty as long it's possible get it from Dell (is it max 4 years?). Hope you get/got a good deal.

One thing for sure... There is a lot people out there with this model who never have read or know about the burning machines. They will run into a hell risky purchase if they want upgrade second hand graphics next year or the year after. And those used graphics won't be cheap. Neither with a good/long warranty. Not normal if you buy it used.

raz8020, Vasudev and jclausius like this.
  5. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Law in europe does not say 2 years. It says a device should work for it's expected lifetime. I believe on laptops/electronics it's around 3 years. The extended warranty is only for next day service. If the machine breaks down outside of that period you have to pay shipping costs but you do have warranty for 3 years.

6. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Alienware command center had an update did it fix overclocking

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Realtek seems to only effect audio through the headphone and speakers not hdmi? Is this the same with Nahimic in aw command center as well? Settings for the two seem independent?

Audio software is pretty damn confusing

Vasudev likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Attached is the first page of the 17 R4 schematics, showing what the AGA is routed through (they called it Caldera internally)

Attached Files:

raz8020, Zero989, mason2smart and 3 others like this.
  10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, this will be my last laptop for a long time. I already have 2 years default next day warranty with this current one, will pay another $200 may be in 2020 (or whenever I'm offered a better deal) to extend it to 4 years in total. By them, I sure I will "burn" this system out and get a system replacement with a updated model, hopefully a more reliable "non-burning" version. Then, I'll buy some more warranty for that system and use it till it serves it purposes.

In my case, one thing is for certain. I will not, or more better-put, I refuse to use this system in a more conservative manner like using it at 4.5Ghz. I will tweak it to run to its max operating capacity and make sure I get my $4000 worth. If it burns, screw it, I will just ask for another one and it should be easier now that Azor has said publicly that the dead system will get replaced and I'll make sure he keeps his word!

Amen!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk