*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dell reps are watching so don't leak out our loophole.

c69k likes this.
  2. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why do you go with FHD 60Hz? No offense intended but that makes no sense. I would at least go with 3k or a high refresh rate FHD 120/144Hz.

Otherwise your 2070 is useless in this scenario.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or maybe it was simply, "Do not buy that product from them because they ship with an unsupported configuration, likely to cause problems, and give AW51 a bad name unnecessarily".

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HAHA, they know that heat kills performance. I bet they are many getting 51 for gaming themselves and open-minded to allow best cooling on the planet with LM. Of course, provided that people nail polish the whole motherboard LOL

Anyway, has anyone tried Coollaboratory extreme yet? ('Due to the paste-like texture the application is very easy now') This is 41 Wm/k and probably not runny, BUT still conductive.

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and rinneh like this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK so that means there is no way to set a max frequency and a max voltage, to be lower than what's in the firmware? For example I cannot tell it "go up to 1900MHz and up to 0.95V" ?

6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you ordering from Iran, N. Korea and other such US-friendly places?

c69k likes this.
  7. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly! Why buy version 1.0 of something especially with all the known heat issues.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SORRY OFF TOPIC !!!

@doofus99

This is my curve. After I close the Kombustor Benchmark, or a game, MSI afterburner shows clocks are back to Zero. After gaming, I re-set Afterburner to defaults and close it. Letme know if this is it. I will send you my profile if you PM me you e-mail.

EDIT: just found out that you have 1080 LOL, not 1060 !!! So the profile would be useless, unless 1080 can run with same values.

doofus.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Damn, i didnt know there was a new version of it. Want to check it out as well. If it isnt runny it might be a real low risk solution.

mason2smart and c69k like this.
  10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And herein lies the catch. Power consumption depends on (a) frequency (b) voltage (c) instruction blend. It is (c) instruction blend that does the trick. You can use lite or power hungry instructions in your test harness, and that will determine the power drawn. Therefore at 2.9MHz base clock speed you could stress test with P95 and get much more than the 45W Intel prescribes (61W on my i9-8950HK).

There is no program defined for this testing, so the best user smoke test would be to run P95 small FFTs and see how the machine behaves. That will cook the CPU and for added stress you can at the same time hit the GPU with a demanding game running in the background, and then you have another 180W of heat on the same combined heatsink and small enclosed space.