*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Enkeixpress

Enkeixpress Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A new update was released today for "Alienware Command Center." It was updated to v5.2.37.0 ,A00.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Anyone know what's been fixed or added? There doesn't seem to be a changelog for this one.

There has also been an update released today for "Alienware OC Controls" too, v1.2.34.1214, and that one was to support thermal and fan control on G5 5590 / G7 7590/ G77790. Probably new models of laptops.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

I do love these new updates for the utilities. Even if it's just for polish improvements rather than for major features being introduced. It means they care about their product and want to improve things even after its release.

2. Gorebag

Gorebag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good to know. I’m not sure I want to spend another ~ £150 for a Spyder5 pro though, so might check a pre-calibrated profile first and see if it improves the colors: might get lucky? Otherwise I’d consider getting one. Unless anyone knows a place where it can be calibrated for you for less monies than buying the tool yourself?

3. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I’m still not holding my breath but I was able to get into windows normal mode, remove the 2080 in device manager and reboot. I’ve ran the superposition stress test and now I’m on a 3DMark TimeSpy loop to see if this thing is going to break. So far so good.

Again, I’m not holding my breath, but hopefully I can get through my client meetings.

Papusan, Rei Fukai and VoodooChild like this.
  4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Always worth a try. If you aren’t using your machine for color sensitive activities like photography or video editing you’ll more than likely be ok. If you do rely on color accuracy then you have no choice but to do a custom profile for your machine directly.

Gorebag likes this.
  5. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a credit card ready to order an Area 51 but I REFUSE to knowing its an inferior time bomb of a product. Its a shame because I want one and Im ready to buy. So Im looking for a plan B, probably an MSI. Get your stuff together Dell!

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
  6. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Based on the current delays, its pretty reasonable to expect that your system will have a fixed mobo and fixed GPU.
    It would also appear that there is a light at the end of the tunnel regarding the delays.
    Some international sites have the 2080 again. Some systems currently on order have gotten "delay" notices with updated delivery dates.

I would suggest it has a good investment because you can always calibrate your displays going into the future.
    Also you could offer to calibrate people's displays locally for a fee. Win Win.
    I would suggest i1display pro over the Spyder.

S.K, c69k, Gorebag and 1 other person like this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    She's alive then! You might have dodged a bullet there. Most folks have seen an eternal black screen when their machines crapped out. It sounds like a faulty nvidia driver in your case. I would do a clean install using DDU and see how stable the screen becomes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I agree with you on this. Not all of us need a fully calibrated system if our work doesn't need a perfect color accuracy. I got lucky with my M17x with the notebookcheck's calibrated profile. It looks much better than the default one from AW and I've been using it since 7 years now.

Although, I understand what DeeX was saying regarding each panel needing a different calibrated for 100% color accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

clayton006 and hmscott like this.
  8. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I've tried in the past to use DDU on this laptop and attempted to install the DCH or the Standard and both drivers would say "Not compatible with this Operating System" or something to that degree. The last time I updated drivers I had to load the ones from Dell's site, then you GeForce Experience to upgrade. Strange...

9. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    Boo! I just paid for this and it is now a few hundred cheaper due to memorial day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  10. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why think your 2080 died in the first place only because you were using a AGA that doesnt make any sense.

A internal gpu dies under load and stress which you clearly dont do when you are using a amplifier.