*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought 3dmark invalidates older drivers. I hate nvidia drivers every new WHQL turns up worse than older ones.

hmscott and Kuro Kensei like this.
  2. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ordered i7 9700k/2070/white

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AW have been doing that for a long time, randomly (seemingly) deleting orders and no following up with a call or notice to reorder, you've got to keep an eagle eye on your order.

It's also not fair, as you lose your place in the shipping / order queue, and that doesn't seem right.

Rei Fukai, Alias, Terreos and 2 others like this.
  4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I'll have to give dell a call and see if they did this to me. Checking online doesn't reveal anything. And customer support says I have to call sales? What's the point of customer service if you can't get me my order information?

Falkentyne and Darkhan like this.
  5. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just cannot understand it this software, it is really unintuitive and awkward.

I can press CTRL-L and that locks it at a certain voltage and frequency, but it does not allow it to go idle so the card is running at 2000MHz all the time.

When not locked it tries to go to 1.050V, at whatever frequency this ends up being.

It seems I cannot tell it:

1) go up to 2000MHz (or 1800MHz, or 2100MHz etc)
    2) go up to 0.95V (or whatever)
    3) go slow when idle

6. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is when you bribe someone to post there exact profile or share their file if that's possible?

c69k and Spartan like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It does not go to a low power state because you did the Ctrl+L to lock it. That is by design. If you "lock" it, then it is "locked" at that value. This is overriding the firmware defaults.

If you do not use Ctrl+L it will automatically use the voltage applicable to the frequency as controlled by the vBIOS. If you raise the dot for the frequency above a particular voltage column, (which is overclocking,) under load it should run at that frequency and voltage up to the maximum voltage the card is allowed to use by the firmware. By the same token, if you lower the dot, the clock speed will drop (underclock).

Of course, this is all within the functional parameters of the GPU. It won't do a higher clock speed or voltage than what the firmware allows, and attempting to force it to a clock speed to high for the available voltage will cause instability and the driver to crash (TDR).

Ashtrix, raz8020, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Well I chatted with Dell and my Order is in pre-production. So it is still being made and not cancelled like some have said. That's good as I couldn't survive another few weeks wait. Lol

Oh and I found this video on Alienware taking the Area 51m apart. Pretty simple compared to the 17 r5 or 15 r4 as the ribcage seems alot easier to take off. Though it has a ridiculous amount of screws. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Rei Fukai, Spartan and Darkhan like this.
  9. user54321

user54321 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, I never had this issue before. Its been two weeks ago I've placed the order and they canceled my order and gonna place the new one for the 4th time so far. Today I got email that I have to wait 2 days for status update. I have no idea how much to wait at all and what's going on.

10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Monkeys at the zoo would do a better job then baffoons at Dell sales, hell they can barely speak a legible word of English.

My order has also been cancelled and I got 3 different reasons from 3 different idiots that work there. What a disgrace.

Woodking, raz8020, iunlock and 2 others like this.