*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I'd be more inclined to purchase the delid kit and do it myself if I had multiple CPUs, or knew others who game on PC.

Unfortunately aside from myself and my wife, I don't know anyone else (besides online buddies) that game on PC. If I had a network of buddies that were willing to let me delid their cpus for a few $, I'd certainly get one haha.

Might invest into one when I have the space to build a desktop though, as for now the kit would be a one time use thing and who knows what you'll need for next gen. :vbthumbsup:

Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It's your hardware. You can do whatever you want to do with it. Nobody is an authority. You just weigh pros and cons and if you feel that it is making your hard earned money deliver more value for you, go with it. It's that simple. And there are no rewards without risks. If you care too much about warranty, you are probably going to get average results at best like the rest of the crowd. For me personally, CPU warranty goes out the window the moment I grab that box. I've delidded more CPUs than I can count, and NEVER had to RMA one, because what kills CPUs is not delid, it's the balls to the wall OC over extended period of time that pulls the trigger. Unless it's a DOA chip, so always better to test thoroughly for a week or so before delid (but I know it doesn't apply in his case).

P.S., Don't worry about anyone pissing me off anymore. I do not check the forum without logging in now so I can't see the comment that you referred to (Don't even know who said what haha!)

If you do the math, that will cost you around 10 to 12 times more money than you'll spend on the kit altogether. If I were you, I'd save on that and just buy the tool. But if you just want peace of mind then yeah, that's what we earn for in the first place. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
    nkc and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you want the very best Cpu temp there ain't other choices than delidding and Liquid metal. All depends what you want. But forget the warranty afterwards if you care about that. I posted that you can shave of 3-7C degrees. Weight it up vs. lose the warranty on the chips. You need to post both sides if you give advices. See... Not everyone fully understands the disadvantage. If you play with the fire you have to tolerate the heat:) Aka replace the chips with a new one if you have to RMA.

Edit. According to Silicon Lottery, 3-7C will not be enough to get that +1 bin. And certainly not if you are near the border at 100C and thermal shutdown before you start delidde your CPU.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Normimb, raz8020, Darkhan and 4 others like this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Yeah it's certainly cheaper to buy the kit (mainly because I can use it for future endeavours.) The rockkit kit is $40 + $5 for the quicksilver + $ for shipping (so probably 50-60 total), and $59 if I sent it to SL for delid without binning.

As much as I'm a stickler for saving money and (enjoy) doing DIY stuff, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and feel like the whole process would come out a little janky if I did it. I really want it to look like it has never been touched.

We'll see what happens in time though. Not in a rush to delid it any time soon. Maybe I can find someone local to lend me the tool if I decide to go the DIY route, as it will more than likely be a one time use thing.

hmscott and S.K like this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Sounds familiar lol! This OCD can come in really handy when doing DIY jobs like this. I let my OCD side take over while doing these jobs to do them right, but it is also useful to know at all times when it is good enough. My CPU works great, but at the same time it looks black around the edges due to excessive silicon sealant that is preventing all that LM from leaking out. I had to resist the urge to wipe it clean and make it nice and shiny before putting it back but one got to tame his/her OCD side enough so that it doesn't take control when it is not needed. :p

nkc, hmscott and SacraficeMyGoat like this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    XTU doesn't work with RAM. Restarting the settings don't stick at all.

I think @Johnksss also had this issue with the A51m he was using.

Yes...mine is yellowed at the two corners of the top of the lid. Also left mouse button a bit.

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Can you post pictures of the top corners on the lid yellowing up? I might need to protect those areas as mine still looks pristine after the chassis and screen swap.

8. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    LOL.

So I just ran R20 @ 5.1GHz and it passed and like you said, I checked event viewer.

It shows a warning, not error, that the WLAN Extensibility Module has timed out.

Is this what you were talking about?

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Can you post a picture of the entire event?

10. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, how is your AGA w/rtx2080ti working out for you? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of buying a 15m w/2060 or 2070 and use my existing AGA w/gtx1080ti in order to save a few $'s, and maybe take a bit of load/heat off the laptop. I currently have a 17r4 w/i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6 and I need to upgrade its CPU for better VR performance, esp. in X-plane 11. Unfortunately AW does not make a CPU amplifier, lol! Make any sense? Thanks.