*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A couple of questions:

1)How do you know it's fixed? Was there a tweet from Dell? Just wondering if I missed something,

Just as you say, Dell has NOT been transparent on this issue, and it seems to be causing confusion - even here in this thread. I think something official is necessary to put this to rest.

2) Just because someone posts regarding shortcomings based on facts (which some are calling negative) and not lies or opinions doesn't make them a Dell hater. This current revision of the Area51m has some issues right now, and I appreciate any news, good or bad, while waiting to see if they're addressed in a new revision before recommending or deciding to pull the trigger.

raz8020, zdroj, Rei Fukai and 5 others like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Try going through the older posts.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-922#post-10902592

And, I agree about the transparency part 100%. I have a whole list of things that I still haven't tagged frank in on twitter (yet), purely out of good will and giving them a chance to do the right thing. But if this drama continues then I guess we have plenty of people here who can force Dell to issue a recall on all of the bad first batch machines through a modest social media campaign.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, I saw your post. And I mean no offense, but that was a fix for your card. Does that apply to others? I don't recall if you mentioned if you had a flame out /dead laptop as well?

And while it might be likely this is the problem with other units that have died, I'd feel better with confirmation directly from Dell they found and addressed a known problem.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think the post that I made in the above link is enough for any electrical engineer to understand what was the reason behind cards blowing up left right and center. That's a solid enough proof for me that they have upgraded stuff. Even if they don't say anything, that's fine. Competitors might make bad memes about their mistakes so it's understandable. But what's not fine is no recall and bad batch parts freely floating around in the market!

5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it ok if I use two 330W adapters?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don't think there will ever be a recall on this system and I am quite sure Dell/AW will never release an official statement on this matter. They'll just let the system burn out, replace the parts or if the customer is pissed, will give a slight "upgrade" during system replacements and sweep the dust from under the carpet. It sounds unethical but most businesses run under this business model.

Since you bought from Hidevolution, I've a few questions for you.
    1. I've removed the default Dell SSD and the mechanical hard drive through Hidevolution and upgraded the RAM and the boot drive to 1TB SSD. What happens if my system dies and I've been sanctioned for a replacement laptop? Do I have to send my upgraded RAM and SSD back to Dell? Will Hidevolution send me another ran stick and new drive? I'm quite sure my laptop will die at least once(I never turn off my laptop, its ON 24×7) before this debacle is put to rest. Now I'm unsure about what warranty I'll receive from both parties.
    2. Why don't you post your findings about the lemon parts to Azor and Dell Cares? You're the only who has invested on this and have claimed that Dell have updated their new GPUs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    1: You don't need to send Dell anything. Call them to your house instead and make them send you the parts that you need instead of giving them the entire machine (I personally do it that way and find it better).
    2: I will do it, after I am done ironing out all the glitches with my machine, the latest one being the audio daughter board getting hot to a point where left palm rest is uncomfortable to rest my hand on for longer than a few minutes.

Once I'm done settling things, I will tag them on twitter, definitely!

It should be fine, but then you'll be relying more on the motherboard's power components to control the power draw instead of relying on the PSU's as under normal circumstances they would bottleneck at roughly the max power draw that should go into this machine under load conditions. Anything above that goes into this setup through a faulty power controller and ka-boooom! :D I will test out the eurocom PSU just for fun after I'm done with all the glitches and if that thing works, I will keep that on my office desk and the original ones on my home desk and just travel with the laptop alone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2019
    VoodooChild likes this.
  7. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Looks like someone with what you mentioned as the enhanced GPU also caught fire.
    So maybe there is no "improved batch" at all, Dell just didn't take this seriously

Attached Files:

raz8020, zdroj, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Nope. These are smaller shunts. They are not bulky enough like the ones that I have on my card. Plus, the mosfets are hidden so can't say which batch it is. The printing label on these resistors doesn't matter and the font/style may widely vary. The only thing that matters is the wattage and resistance.

9. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are the only person I have seen call Rainbow 6: Seige a demanding game on either the CPU or GPU.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations: