*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M R1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i would instantly sell my a51m....

jclausius and Korben_Dallas like this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hot palm rests and main Keyboard area are not normal for this laptop. I would look into that. Something is not right with yours. (Battey and SSD in palm rests may be defective. They shouldn't get hot)

No keyboard side surface gets hot to the touch on mine at all. Some people report it getting hot by the function keys though, which I think is relatively normal due to GPU location.

Darkhan and VoodooChild like this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That GPU is toast.

When you install a sata SSD, it kills the air flow in that area which ends up making it get hot when both CPU and GPU are under load. I could get the SSD out but that's not what I intend to do. I will get a color swap eventually as I don't mind warm palm rests as long as they don't fade my paint! The palm rests stay cool otherwise though, just get warm during extreme gaming. The left palm rest (towards the Sata drive bay) gets hotter than the right one towards the battery. However, the disk itself runs very cool. It's a 4TB Samsung 860 Evo. The keyboard itself stays cool. I suspect that this heat is actually the CPU and GPU heat that travels across the metal chassis making it's way to the palm rest area as the vents are also a part of the chassis and get hot with exhaust air.

15 inch is TOO SMALL for me. I've been spoiled with 17.3" screens for long enough and those baby sized screens make me freak out lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  4. iujona

iujona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got the Alienware Elite backpack...its a great backpack not only for the Area 51m but in general. Was going to return my Area 51m but I might just keep my Area 51m because of the backpack...

15 inch is toooo smalll for gaming..

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yeah that backpack is sick! Super solid build quality and surprisingly light weight.

iujona, nkc and hmscott like this.
  6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Best "comment of the year" so far! :D

raz8020, DannyB513, ssj92 and 11 others like this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had to read it twice just to believe what I had understood. That's next level man.
    It's like saying I didn't like the food but will definitely go to the restaurant again just to use the cutlery again. ;)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

raz8020, DannyB513, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  8. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And here i am waiting for it to be sold in europe.

Korben_Dallas likes this.
  9. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, there is something weird happening with my laptop, I hope someone here can help me to figure out what's happening.
    I have been on vacation for some weeks and came back yesterday, so I spent some time upgrading the Bios to version 1.5 and all the drivers manually, also some windows updates. In the process I was monitoring temps from the CPU and everything seemed normal, temperatures were below 55 on idle. The computer rebooted several times during the update process, everything was ok. The thing is that I received an update from AWCC and AW OC tools that forced to uninstall the old OC tools in order to complete the upgrade. After that I did a diagnosis test (Fn + power button) and everything was fine, but the next time I booted into windows the fans started to ramp up on idle. I took a look at hwinfo and saw that the temperatures of the CPU where very high, above 85 centigrades and some cores were throttling, so I checked the frequencies and most some were running at 4.9 Mhz. I monitored this situation for some time, the computer was idle during all this time and the frequency was fluctuating between 0.9 Mhz and 5 Mhz, while some cores maintained 4.9 Mhz with voltages between 1.4 and 1.6 for some time and then throttled. I was running on balanced profile.

Well, the weird thing is that OC on AWCC was off, moreover, I have never activated it and I haven't installed yet TS or XTU on this laptop.
    I tried activating OC on AWCC an deactivating it after but nothing changed. I even tried to create an new OC profile with 3.6 Mhz and lowering the voltages the it didn't work. I even uninstalled OC tools and reinstalled the previous version with no luck.
    All performance options are disabled on BIOS. Is this normal? Frequencies should be 3.6 maximum without OC, right?

It's really strange, I don't know if this is an AWCC OC tools bug or if it's something related to windows or BIOS. I think I will try booting with a live windows usb image or even reestablishing the windows factory image that came pre-installed in order to try to isolate the issue just to be sure that it's not related to CMOS/BIOS.

Any ideas?

My config is i9 9900, rtx 2080, 32 Gb RAM, 1 tb Raid 0 and Tobii + gsync @144Hz

10. iujona

iujona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Uninstall AWCC. Its bugged. You may have OC on your BIOS.

hmscott and Xatanú like this.