*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So wait ... Is that link for LG or AUO?

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good for you

LG as that's the screen that I have

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2019
  3. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Than why does it mention AUO all over the place?

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  4. Spartan

Reputations:
    Ohh snap that's a typo because the first Area-51m that I ordered was supposed to have that screen then I canceled my order as I was sick of the wait and got one locally which had the LG screen so that profile is indeed for the LG screen. I will request a mod to edit the thread title later

hmscott likes this.
  5. Dextroz02

Dextroz02 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. giltee

giltee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any tips (in terms of what to do in Windows) on removing the 1550/installing the 1650? I saw the video for changing the hardware out--is that all you have to do, and Windows automatically recognizes/configures it? Or do you need to mess around with Device Manager etc.?

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    Check this thread, it has the latest driver for it>>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-area-51m-drivers.827895/

I already had that driver installed which is also applicable to the Killer 1550 that was originally in the system so all I had to do was swap the cards and boot up then reconnect to my wireless network.

Tip: you will notice that on the killer 1550 the black marker is on top saying AUX and the white marker saying WLAN is below it. On the Killer 1650, the locations are the same but the colors are inverted so now the white marker is AUXso do they confused, look at which cable was AUX and plug it into the AUX connector on the new card, same for the WLAN cable

giltee likes this.
  8. ubar

ubar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I am expecting my A51m to arrive at some point next week and would like to order some parts in the meantime.

I'd like to ask for some spiritual guidance on what ram and SSD to get.

I need to purchase 32gb of ram and a 2tb SSD; the machine is currently configured to come with 2 256gb nvme ssds, 1tb sshd and 32gb of ram.

Is it better if I replace one of the nvme with an Intel 660p or should I keep the originals and replace the sshd with a 2.5 ssd? I already have a 512gb Samsung 850 evo here that I'd like to savage... I shouldn't have any problems with 1 2tb 660p and 1 256gb stock, right? That way I can swap the drive with the Evo I have here... Please let me know your thoughts.

As for the memory, I remember reading some comments around the HyperX... 2666 Corsairs are going for $163.00 on Amazon right now, vs $205.00 for the HyperX...

Much appreciated!

PS: I am getting it straight from Dell... Was able to get a 20% discount on top of retail price for a I9/2080... Is it worth repasting it? if so, with what? It has been more than 15 years since I had to put a desktop together (I remember the vga being a Radeon 9700 Pro lol)

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure on the SSD front, I'll be keeping an eye on the responses as I was eyeing the same one.

In regards to the RAM, I doubt you'd notice much if anything between the 2 and based on that I'd go for the Corsairs since they're much cheaper.

10. dsmrunnah

dsmrunnah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the Crucial MX500 2TB in my Desktop and the 1TB version in my laptop. I've been satisfied with them so far. I've never tried an Optane drive, so I'm curious as to how they perform.