*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
  2. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I sure hope they do, but we don't know "for sure".

Also, I didn't say that ram speed makes no difference, but that it wouldn't matter much (I mentioned benchmarking). If you could provide me data that Ram 2400 mhz vs 2666 mhz leads to dozens of frames in a handful of real world situations I'd be interested to take a look. That said, if you're running an i7-9700k or better with an RTX 2060 or better then I doubt you'll rarely, if ever, see huge differences.

Plenty of videos show similar results to this:
    Basically +4 FPS @120+ FPS... Gains for sure, but not huge.

2666 max on a flag ship is already unimpressive. Should have started with that AT LEAST.

3. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did say it only makes a difference when CPU bottle-necked, not many games are naturally CPU bottle-necked but there are certainly some out there. So yes it's not going to affect the majority of use cases.

But in case your interested, your video is not demonstrating a CPU bottle-necked game. The following video shows the effect of ram speed when CPU bottle-necked by running the game at low settings:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  4. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone else played The Division 2 on just one power supply (240W)?

I played earlier today and had no problems playing at 1080p High settings. Ran the benchmark before playing and had an avg of 68 FPS just running on the 240W power supply.

iunlock likes this.
  5. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I played Insurgency: Sandstorm on just the 330W and was getting pretty decent FPS too...

iunlock likes this.
  6. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please document your switch, I'm curious if it's possible to just swap the panel or if you have to swap the whole assembly...

7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm about 99% sure this was mentioned on one of these 900+ pages lol...but if I apply my own Thermal Grizzly Conductonout to the cpu does that void Dell warranty?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Have you checked if Dell have Upgraded the MB power delivery on so called new batch machines? From what I have seen from your posts... I can only see changes on the Dell graphics.
    upload_2019-5-4_14-0-10.png
    Don't expect this being possible in bios but in their proprietary app. What sorts of ram support they are able to offer into their apps (If they really decide to do this) will highly depends on the Motherboard's quality.

This is from Dell's Precision models.
    upload_2019-5-4_14-7-20.png
    This is not trustworthy. Of course they know! http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-983#post-10905440
    If all others don't have same problem as you and with same hardware... Maybe try find the culprit for your problems?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. Maart

Maart Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I'm a little intimidated to post here as a newbe reading your fanatic opinions and suggestions for a few days. But finally, I have decided to order the A51M.

I am going to use it for heavy 3D modelling on-the-go as well as (CPU) rendering being an architect (a building one not a IT-one.)

I got the 9900K 2060 with only 2x4 gb RAM and only 512 gb ssd. Once it arrives in two weeks, I'll replace the RAM to 2 x 16 gb and add a second 1TB SSD. That to me seems like an amazing workhorse to get the job done for the coming 5 years.

Now, I'm sure I'm hugely underestimating something left or right. In terms of cooling, cheaply getting more performance out of it, or any other way. What would you suggest to furthermore improve and/or add?

Please bear in mind I don't get all your abbreviations.

best, Maart

10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Congrats on your system. I'd strongly recommend a good repaste and pads. Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut and Arctic pads 1.0mm and 1.5mm.

You'll have to tune your CPU as well, but once tamed and at a decent Overclock you should be fine with thermals.

Rei Fukai, c69k and Maart like this.