*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    These are shunts. Dell has replaced the shunts on new DGFF cards as well. Take a look at my older posts. I have posted side by side pictures of both a first batch and a 2nd batch GPU for comparison.

Take a look here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-888#post-10901057

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
    Rei Fukai and c69k like this.
  2. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Amroth and S.K like this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    The upgraded mosfets are an indicator whether you are getting first (bad) or second batch part. If you have the NCP-303151 mosfets then you most likely have the barbecue batch and if you have the NCP-303150 mosfets then you most likely have the upgraded stable batch. Also you can see that the shunts are beefier in the 2nd batch in the images on that link.

4. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im still wandering if I get the laptop replacement, could it still be composed of some old bad batch components on the GPU? Cuz' that's really terrifying.

5. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would at least ask dir GPU and mobo replacement. Better a complete replacement.

c69k likes this.
  6. mikeylam

mikeylam Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I am also from HK. Got my machine just after Easter but I haven't even open the box yet. Did you buy from HK Dell or US Dell? I had had service from HK Dell before and they seemed pretty good so just ask them to change the MB for you.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you know if replacing the screen removes the G-sync capability? That's my only remaining concern. Will need an exact model used in the Area 51m as well before I place an order.

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    @Johnksss @Prema

What does the BIOS show the adapter as?

Rei Fukai and c69k like this.
  9. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell will for sure release a 2666mhz capable bios, this is their highest end machine and they have supported 2666mhz on other less capable machines.

I really get bummed when people say Ram speed makes no difference. Ram speed in conjunction with timings do make an appreciable difference under certain situations.

When the fps is bottle-necked by the GPU then it makes no difference.

But if the game is CPU bottle-necked then the higher the RAM speed the more frames you will get at the top end, and we are talking anywhere from a handful of frames to dozens(depending on the game), which is very welcome when we have a 144hz screen and are gaming at 1080p.

Unfortunately for us though we will be capped at 2666mhz when we eventually get the bios update.
    I wish Dell would give us a proper bios with memory tuning, I would have 3600mhz in this at a minimum...

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Killerkrack likes this.
  10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    That's a lot of cable and a Clevo dual PSU adapter box. A simple Schottky instead of the y-splitter, could have gone into the power adapter by just adding a secondary DC slot, would have done the same job and be a lot smaller, cheaper and future proof by being universal.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    ssj92, ThatOldGuy, Johnksss and 4 others like this.