*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think you got stuck with a first batch machine and are gradually moving towards the 2nd batch part by part.

Those connectors are FRAGILE! And when I took mine apart for replacement, I could easily spot a couple of bent pins that were hyper extended. The baboon who repasted this thing at HID must have slapped things back together sloppily. The new ones that I put in were in pristine condition and I babied them into their spot taking a good 5 minutes without moving them around on the board to avoid bending those tiny pins.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  2. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going to send a RMA request to dell to see if i can get a complete laptop replacement.

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I wouldn't do that mistake as that could start my journey of replacing parts all over again, considering the fact that for some God forsaken reason the first batch parts are still floating around! I'd say just replace the motherboard and make sure when talking to Dell that you are getting the "2nd batch with upgraded components". If they don't know what that means, make sure that they know what that means before you accept any replacement part from them. They sent me a first batch GPU to replace my 2nd batch one which I luckily spotted and fixed my gpu temp issue without changing the GPU itself.

4. warrenLX

Reputations:
    AW's R&D is like crap, PLUG TYPE pcie connection is attainable for GPU in a laptop. The only problem is that they just want to use their own dgff model card.

Papusan likes this.
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    They went with this proprietary connector to keep the height profile down as the other one would have added 2-3 mm more to the thickness of this machine which they wanted to avoid. I think these connectors are fine as long as they are carefully handled.

6. quattro100

quattro100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys. not the best day. Basically was playing overwatch for 3 mins and the laptop lost wifi connection then turn off (330w PSU light off too). Famous burn issue as I can clearly smell it. Laptop dead now (i7 +2080); spoke to the dell repair guys in Hong Kong and they had not heard of this issue. My laptop was about 4 weeks old and shipped end of march.

What parts should I tell the dell guys to bring? Is it just the GPU or more? Thanks in advance.

c69k likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    You have to open it up and see what's burnt. No other way to tell. Also take a look at your DGFF power components and make sure you don't have Lemon Parts in it.

8. warrenLX

Reputations:
    Motherboard and GPU

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I'd keep the GPU if it is a non-lemon part. Those are hard to find due to Dell's silly approach of letting the first gen faulty parts float in the market.

10. warrenLX

Reputations:
    BTW, what is the lemon parts you're mentioning. My GPU died and got smoke with this parts burnt,not the MOSFET

Attached Files:

c69k likes this.