*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. bvermeul

bvermeul Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The VBIOS is the exact same version in a new packaging. No need to install it if you have the 200W VBIOS installed already.

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Well I installed both already, all good

3. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    u r late to the party. already posted here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-953#post-10903782

4. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't care what anyone says. They can use whatever technique they want to use. This doesn't make it a standard. I have been doing it and without any issues for many years. Long before intel Core V Pro CPUs came around. It's EASY to put some liquid electrical tape on the lid of the socket after stuffing it with kneaded eraser around the CPU IHS and seat a perfectly cut thin piece of foam on it which has been sealed from the outside edges with silicon sealant. Then put some liquid electrical tape on top so that it bonds with the heat sink when it is seated and forms a tight seal. You have to be creative to deal with any glitches that might come, not necessarily follow people around.

Go with the 2080 and upgrade the CPU later. Just make sure though that the MOSFETs on your 2080 are NCP-303150 or higher spec than this. Don't get one that has NCP-303151. You should ask seller to strictly make this thing sure otherwise you might end up with an older GPU that has lower spec parts on it.

mason2smart likes this.
  5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the VBios increase performance significantly? Does it cause power throttling on other components like cpu, now that a larger portion of the 510 watt is allocated to the gpu? (altough I still have the adapters of my burnt laptop, so I do have the option to use 2x330 watt) Or is there enough headroom to begin with?
    How much does it affect temperatures?
    Also what is the easiest way to see what mosfet I have on my 2080?

6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I received 150 dollars in refund from HIDevolution over the lousy thermal upgrade job that they did. It did compensate for the upgrade part costs but the time wasted will never be compensated.
    The VBios will only matter if you intend to overclock the GPU. If you are not looking to overclock it and just run it at stock, it will not create any difference. In fact, you could go ahead and undervolt the GPU and overclock it at the same time which I have done. Lower temps with higher than stock clocks. ;) In any case you definitely need to undervolt this GPU if you want manageable thermals without liquid metal on your gpu.

In order to take a look at the mosfets on your GPU, you'll have to take it apart and look underneath it where the smaller black heat sink thermal pad makes contact.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. Predator2181

Predator2181 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got 2 x 330w... worked perfect till it lived

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

8. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you, Well I most definitely won't take it apart anytime soon. Don't want to tinker with it now that I have satisfying results.

About undervoting. After asking around here and looking online examples, with the minimal info I got, and essentially doing changes according to other without knowing what I did, the results were as bad as they were. reaching 82 degrees consistently.
    So I properly looked things up myself, did lots of testing, and figured out what the best undervolt would be in my case, because the stock values are really variable due to the insane Nvidia boost frequencies, The on the fly thermal throttling of the boost frequencies, and hitting power limits.
    Nonetheless I explained it all in detail in my previous posts.
    Essentially dropped my temps with 9-10 degrees when 100% usage, 3D Mark timespy score increased with roughly 200 points.
    In my case did a downvolt to 861mv and an overclock of 135Mhz at that point, reaching 1845Mhz.

I am VERY happy now with my laptop, and hope it stays like this.

FYI, this is a replacement laptop I got 2 weeks ago. As my 1st one burnt down. mid march

9. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why doesn't this laptop support XMP?? It is an Intel standard?
    I should have done more research before ordering the 51m. Clevo supports XMP.
    Alienware really need to think hard about who their core audience is.

10. alberty

alberty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, anyone having issue area 51m trips the circuit breaker just by plugging it in? It happened twice in the last two days. I was using it for 2 weeks without any problem. I am not sure its the cable of power brick 330 one.

Rei Fukai likes this.