*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    we should have started a petition to pressure dell to bring area-51m to malaysia and singapore.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My Alienware Area 51m came in today from HIDevolution (through Amazon, but called HIDevolution for delidding and doing the pasting). Machine runs flawlessly so far. Adding in my 2TB M.2 NVMe took less than a minute. Delid was done well and thermal pads were installed and didn't have any issues with it. Did not check mosfets for the GPU, but I will get to that later after watching Avengers tonight. So far this has been a very satisfying machine. It is relatively quiet at max fans in comparison to the P870DM-G and stays really cool even on the lap (lulgamingonlap). Hopefully some BIOS mods come around for full access to system in the future, but for now I will be using it as is for warranty purposes until nearing its end before going full crazy. If anyone wants me to do something when I'm free, I can try to do so. Also @Ultra Male , I had a hard time figuring you were Phoenix from many years ago!

Thank you @Ted@HIDevolution for the quick help on getting the delid and such done over the phone before the unit's production.

Average temps while playing The Division 2 on Ultra quality: CPU @ 65C and GPU at 72C with max fans on.

Specs (on purchase):

HIDevolution Alienware Area-51M 17.3" FHD 144Hz Gaming Laptop | Black | 3.6 GHz i9-9900K, RTX 2080, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, PCIe 512GB SSD + 1TB SSHD | Authorized Performance Upgrades & Warranty

SlickDragon likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anger isn't directed to them over failures that are not their fault. Their repaste jobs have been horrible as of late and could cause an otherwise perfect machine to thermally crumble under load. If you want longevity, re-do the thermal upgrades on your own table with your own hands instead of relying on anyone else.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  4. Latostno

Latostno Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ha ha, now, waiting for EVO Plus 2TB and I'm set[​IMG]

Sent from my MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and c69k like this.
  5. LegionWolf

LegionWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have Kryonaut and Artic pads on way. Double checking - 1mm and .5 mm are one people have been using for repadding ?

6. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking for some help here.

I did a fresh install of Windows (now on RAID0 on 970s, whoop whoop) and all is well EXCEPT I can't seem to get Command Center working.

I followed the exact steps in @Ultra Male 's guide, restarting after each install, and all was well until CC came up and it gave me an error. No problem, just skipped it and did the others (save for another one that apparently needed CC files or something).

Anyway, now I'm all squared away with no CC and fans on full blast. I can't seem to find the direct download from Dell when I put in my Service Tag or not. So I found an app on the UWP Windows Store. Downloaded it. And when I click Fusion it says it can't find any lighting devices, and it also doesn't let me change the fans. It's basically all blank.

Ideas?

7. Halewafa

Halewafa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I launched AWCC for the first time after uninstalling it, it automatically detected/downloaded the additional apps for OC and lighting. You might have to download them separate if they didn't pop up right away

8. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where would I go to download them separately?

EDIT: NVM, I just found an older version for the desktop, installed it, and then it auto-updated once opened.

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind... now it's going in an endless loop of trying to update, saying it did, and then failing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  9. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1mm plus 1.5mm. Don't need 0.5mm at all.

LegionWolf likes this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    I take it that you're not in the US? If that's the case, I can't speak on behalf of Dell service elsewhere, but in the US it is really good. If you call Monday for example they can have someone out as fast as Tuesday. It's unfortunate that the service around the world vary a lot... I know that there has been a lot of complaints in the SE Asia and India regions. It is likely that the techs in your regions also are third party companies like it is here in the US. The Techs that come out to service your machine are not Dell techs... they are contracted, which why it adds another layer of error, because the majority don't know what they are doing. What dell needs to do is to send people the parts so that people can service their systems by themselves or have their friend/someone with good knowledge to do it for them, which is a ton better than having a "know nothing," tech come out that is a third party hire.

Spread method or X pattern is best on laptops. Just make sure not to use too much or too little... the GPU side has good contact so you don't need that much. The CPU is a little trickier but it should not have too much either otherwise it'll spill over and you don't want thermal paste leaking into the gold contact pins inside of the socket. It would be a nightmare to clean.

Yes I agree. There needs to be more support in the SE Asia and India regions. If there was one I would support it 100%.

Very nice and contrats. Are you running your CPU on stock clocks? Have you OC'ed it yet to 5.0GHz? Please report back with screen shots of the temps with hwinfo64 open. Enjoy your new system!

You may need 1.5mm in some areas. Every heat sink is different. Take a close look at your stock pads and replace them accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019