*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    So here I am with a little side by side comparison of the lemon with my working 2080 GPU. I'll post pictures alternatively so you can do cross comparison of part numbers etc.

Lemon-1:
    [​IMG]

Working-1:
    [​IMG]

Lemon-2:
    [​IMG]

Working-2:
    [​IMG]

Lemon-3:
    [​IMG]

Working-3:
    [​IMG]

I replaced the lemon with my own GPU and performance is back. The temps are under control with the installation of the new heat sink with max not exceeding 81 degrees celcius.

raz8020, judal57, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    And, I got lucky with my 2nd 9900K that I bought yesterday and delidded. I'm happily under-volting this bad boy upto negative 160 mV! The older 9900k wouldn't like to go beyond negative 115 mV. My absolute max temps with this are 79 degrees celcius during cinebench. Idle is a happy 45 degrees! :cool:

raz8020, jclausius and iunlock like this.
  3. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered my system on March 11th, got delayed because of parts shortages. It arrives tomorrow and I really hope it's the revised version! Seems like it's a 50/50 chance.

VoodooChild likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Revision number on the card?
    upload_2019-4-24_19-38-43.png

5. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm torn, this thing has almost zero portability like the msi gt75 but the i9 9900k and 2080 more than makes up for that. But at $3k usd, I can build a 2080/ryzen 2700x for about half the price and get better gpu performance and around the same cpu performance, and obviously better cooling which is critical. But I love the laptop form factor probably more so than the desktop. Just hard for me to justify this purchase I guess. I want it, but hard to make that leap especially knowing how bleeding edge tech like this depreciates so fast. Maybe I'll just wait for an insane deal, gpu prices are still a bit ridiculous right now. Be interesting to see what the prices will be in 6 months when these are 1 year old. Might even be safer to buy after the 1 year mark after all the revisions to this tech.

Problem is as awesome as the 1070 and 7700hq are, I'm feeling the limitations, and seeing the benefits of 8 core / 12 threads for productivity. Bleh, I might just have to build a desktop sigh and I really don't want to.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can always build a fast and cheaper desktop. Comparing cost and performance is really like apples or oranges.

iunlock likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I just checked and it's the same as my working one. But doesn't make sense because the parts are different as you can see. May be they didn't change the revision number stamp on the PCB and just updated parts instead.

8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Dude, i lugged my gt75 titan around daily for 2 years that included a brisk walk of around 5 km. What are you talking about? The msi backpack was incredibly comfortable. May be you need to put on some muscle. ;)

Amroth likes this.
  9. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh well, you can easily buy a 2080Ti desktop for 3k that will leave a laptop in dust in terms of performance.
    I had a tiny ITX 8700K w. 1080Ti and it ran like a champ and was even OC'ed. Just needed a CPU delid and it did 4.8GHz across all cores no problem in a Node 202 combined with Scythe Big Shuriken Rev2B cooler.

10. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well that's great... nice job cause' even with two repairs and insisting behavior i wasn't able to obtain nothing else but "nope deal with it" from both Dell & HID (but kind and respectful).

You ordered in U.S ? If that's the case it's nice to know that both companies give absolute 0 care of their E.U customers...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2019