*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At least nvidia is pushing new tech and trying to advance PCs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nyceis

Nyceis Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi all, I did a fresh install on my 51m and I can't get the Realtek audio console to load. I installed the Realtek audio drivers from Dell and the Audio Console from them. It successfully installs from the Windows store but upon launching gives me the message that "Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine."

Any thoughts?

3. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well majority of gamers want more performance and fps...not features that only a handful of games utilize. Such a sad lack of real competition from amd we are given these small incremental upgrades. I don’t think it’s worth upgrading from the 10 series but that’s just me. If you still have a gtx 970 going to a 2070 would be good though.

hmscott likes this.
  4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes they did get RTx out too early. But the 20 series will really shine next year with the PS5 coming out and sporting RTX hardware. They are saying it will be around the 2060 in performance. 10 series will not be able to come close to the 20 series in RTX games. I do love raw FPS, but we need to get back to advancing graphics. We need developers like crytek to make games like Crysis 1 that push PC hardware/graphics forward. Today it’s just a bunch of kids who want 240 frames in fortnite and apex legends, games that look like they came from the gamecube era in the graphics department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Found this from the reputable @Mr. Fox which might help?

jclausius, raz8020, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just so the comparaison is right.

Desktop
    All
    i7-4790k
    16GB Ram

[​IMG]

780 to 980 = 4,695 graphic score difference = 35%
    980 to 1080 = 8,147 graphic score difference = 45%
    1080 to 2080 = 4,798 graphic score difference. = 18%

Laptop
    Any CPU
    Any Ram

[​IMG]

780m to 980m = 6,714 graphic score difference = 92%
    980m to 1080 (notebook) = 11,952 graphic score difference = 85%
    1080 (Notebook) to 2080 (notebook) = 5,159 graphic score difference = 19%

You can see that the gap on PC is closer than on Desktop and that pascal was a huge leap in the portable market.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    SlickDragon, TheDantee and hmscott like this.
  7. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just arrived delivery email for April 23rd :) the time never goes, I can't wait to get my hands on this laptop !! order of March 28th should be the second lot

pathfindercod and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD hardware is being used by both Sony and Microsoft for their Consoles. Nvidia isn't providing the CPU / GPU / APU for the consoles so I seriously doubt Sony or Microsoft or AMD or Intel will call Real-Time Ray-Tracing, "RTX".

"RTX" is Nvidia's attempt at pushing a proprietary hardware solution it wouldn't even share with it's own GTX hardware at release, let alone Intel or AMD...

Perhaps we will all be surprised and AMD will include Nvidia licensed "RTX" hardware acceleration in the Consoles and PC GPU's, but more likely it will be software real-time Ray-tracing features tuned for use with general GPU hardware features common to all modern GPU's.

Perhaps the Navi generation general purpose AMD Console / PC GPU hardware will be "tweaked" in some ways to assist in getting more of the GPU to operate in parallel - keeping with generational performance improvements in the Navi / Console hardware - allowing the new hardware to all be in use - instead of the Nvidia method of idling RTX / Tensor cores when not in direct use.

AMD likely will also not penalize the GTX / RX / Vega GPU's - they will be able to play games using Real-Time Ray-Tracing effects, with a scalable sprinkling of pixie dust effects on more or less capable hardware.

"RTX" isn't the correct name to use for Real-time Ray-Tracing effects on Sony or Microsoft Console / AMD GPU's or APU's / Intel GPU hardware, is what I am saying. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  9. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you.

Also I just installed the latest nvidia drivers, and have a weird flickering issue.
    I have an external monitor and also have the laptop its own screen open at all times showing the temps through Alienware command center.

And there are weird strokes of colors flickering over the screen. This only happens when both monitors are enabled at the same time.
    Makes me remember the weird issue I had on the laptop that died using DX12 on Metro exodus, causing the game to crash, which also only happened when both monitors were working at the same time. There must be something wrong with my external monitor.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NA math bro ;)
    Fixed

780 to 980 = 4,695 graphic score difference = 35%
    980 to 1080 = 8,147 graphic score difference = 45%
    1080 to 2080 = 4,798 graphic score difference. = 18%

780m to 980m = 6,714 graphic score difference = 92%
    980m to 1080 (notebook) = 11,952 graphic score difference = 85%
    1080 (Notebook) to 2080 (notebook) = 5,159 graphic score difference = 19%