*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is that the same game that is sensitive to CPU performance improvements too? How much of the performance is due to CPU improvement vs GPU improvement? 20% bump from both, how much due to the GPU only?

21k vs 24k-25k GPU score is about 12%-15%...

It would probably be best to actually test a same CPU configuration with 1080 vs 2080 side by side with similar tuning other than the GPU's to know for sure.

raz8020 and Johnksss like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    This would be for the Firestrike mention. Sorry about that.

There is no such thing as "to know for sure" when doing this. You know that already. To many different people doing way to many different things. that's why I gave a max example as there are only 2 in the world that can produce that number.

Don't know what his line of testing would be, but you know from my many post about what true stock is suppose to be are what I base my numbers off of.

And with or without cpu influence the numbers are still valid. Because it applies to both cards. Unless you are going from a dual core & 1080 to a octa core and 2080 or something as vast as that example. Then there would surely be a vast discrepancy in the over all numbers. This does not apply to running test one of 3dmark11 as you can bench test 1 using a single core and get the basically the same numbers as using an octa core for gpu score.

At the end of the day, gaming doesn't even matter if you get above 60 fps solid since the majority are still running 60hz screens.

I may have some Division 2 or Destiny 2 numbers later if I get time, but 2080 is better, but not better than sli'd 1080's.

hmscott likes this.
  3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed. It’s amazing how many don’t realize how much the CPU matters in games today, especially at 1080p. Even if the frames in games are similar, a much better cpu will eliminate stuttering and small hiccups that most don’t record when benching. After owning the 9700/2080 combo, I would bet anything the 9900/2070 would perform better or smoother in many games at 1080p. Games today are wrecking CPUs, I see 70 to 100 percent utilization in anthem, black ops 4, apex, division 2. The 9900k would have helped a ton in these games. People say the 9700k is a good cpu but I’m telling you it’s already not enough for games today if you want high frames at 1920x1080. For higher resolutions or lower refresh rates its more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    SlickDragon, c69k and hmscott like this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    This is pretty much with everything. Funny thing is we use to complain about this in benchmarks back in the day. LOL
    How they were really basing scoring off of these cpu's running off ln2 while the gpu was running stock. And they would kill us, but in the end it all made perfect sense.

Examples for games:
    More cores
    More cores and threads
    More speed
    More speed and cores
    More speed, cores and threads.

Watching the utilization in real time shows this type of mapping.

raz8020, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It looks like it's the first batch. Can't remember seen 150.000W PL1 for the newer.
    Well below 25% increased performance if you overclock. Is this huge uplift after +2 years waiting? Remember the performance difference going from 780/880M to 980 series? Or from 980 to 1080?

Ashtrix, zdroj, mason2smart and 2 others like this.
  6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone give me some advice regarding GPU undervolting?
    CPU is easy. Especially in Intel XTU. A neet little slider, that both takes cpu and cache voltages into account. Will probably try to reach -100mv, and I should be fine.

Though GPU is a little more tricky especially since there is also power throttling on the 2080. I checked the frequency graph in MSI afterburner. people playing with certain voltages on certain clock speeds. But it's hard to pinpoint for me to which specific mhz nodes I should tinker with.
    Any advice on that?

Also I definitely don't want to push it till my system gets unstable. e.g. on my CPU does it get unstable at -100mv. than I most likely will keep it at like -70mv. just to make sure. as probably my tests aren't a real stress test that runs for like hours and hours.
    So yeah, any tips on the GPU? Also is stress testing on like Heaven benchmark fine enough? Or should I use other software too?

hmscott likes this.
  7. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Yes but you have to add in RTX and see that it performs way better there cause of the tensor cores vs a 1080 with RTX. Only issue is the games suck with RTX right now. If games did well with RTX this would be a nice leap from the 10 series. But nvidia relied on game developers to implement RTX, BIG MISTAKE. They also relied on developers to implement explicit multi GPU and that failed miserably and killed sli

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    I don't talk about RTX features some/few use. More the pure performance uplift differences. You said the pretty good performance boost.
    upload_2019-4-19_18-48-3.png

Ashtrix, zdroj and hmscott like this.
  9. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Yes but since consoles will have RTX, RTX is the future and will matter pretty soon. If you look at dlss and RTX, this is a huge leap from the 10 series. Plain performance in normal games? I agree it’s not amazing but noticeable

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah:)
    [​IMG]

Ashtrix and jclausius like this.