*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. SpentaTONofMoolah4k

SpentaTONofMoolah4k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's fine, it just crashes too much & I'm tired of messing with the settings. I'm sure Alienware will fix the bugs & bios etc... but I might as well wait another few months.

But any help on formatting the OS (C:/) drive? Right clicking it & selecting format is not working either.

4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ahh. Damn. Why not just return and repurchase? It seems they fixed most of the issues with these newer ones. Even small issues such as the touchpad making clicking noises on the bottom right side, my newer replacement doesnt have this issue.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Boot from Windows installation media, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt and use diskpart commands. You cannot format the drive that Windows is installed to while it is in use as a bootable volume. This is by design, to keep you from destroying your operating system.

Or, just install Linux instead, LOL.

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Google doing windows 10 reset then just do a reset and erase files.

SpentaTONofMoolah4k and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The email I just got just said screen bezel, so I doubt they are sending me the screen/lid and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i'm glad you guys investigated this QC issue. by HID standard and reputation, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. but i do agree not everyone can give their 100% dedication and passion to their job and i've had my fair share of dealing with workers like that ruining the company's reputation (assuming that they are properly trained and experienced). your quick reaction did restore some confidence in us but we certainly hope this is the last of lack of QC and negligence being reported. keep up the good work

jclausius likes this.
  9. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    Are there any news on the power supplies for the 51m, I've just seen the review and they seem to use 2 different styles of power bricks, with different AC power sockets?

I've also been looking at the Dutch Dell website and it seems like the i7 9700 is the max spec here? Can't choose the 9900k upgrade.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't had as much time the last week or so to tinker as much as I'd have liked, but I think after chasing Firestrike scores with a top score of 24,750 and a graphics score of a hair over 29,000, I think I can rest easy knowing I don't have a total dud.

I think 4.9 on all 8 cores on my 9900k with a -140 offset is gonna be my sweet spot for stable gaming, which I'm pretty happy with! Definitely need to play some more... but after 45 minutes of OW, 45 min of Siege, and 45 minutes of PUBG - all on Performance fans (so loud) I only had one core go over 80c. I mean, yeah, it throttles with AIDA64/Prime/Cinebench... but during gaming, it's maintaing 4.9 on all 8 cores and I think all of us back in January would have thought that to be impossible.

I'll probably send my chip in for a $59 de-lid from SL, and I'll do my own repaste job. If I can keep this under 75c - which seems pretty dang do-able with those mods - for most gaming (even if the fans are loud), I'm a very happy camper.

Where are you guys leaving your clocks for stable gaming vs benchmarks?

Oh! GPU seems to do well at stock voltage, 200W vbios, at +140/+600. Seems to hover around 78-82c most the time.